Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike just doesn't have any power and not sure what it is. also having a hard time connecting throttle cables back on...will not spring back like it suppose to with both cables connected but will slowly spring back with just 1. any ideas thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also sometimes the left carb with just randomly start leaking out of the bottom, but it's random and sometimes does and other times it doesn't

·
Registered
226 Posts
Leaking carbs: If it is coming out of the nipple on the bottom it is likely a worn O ring on the float drain screw. If it comes out where the connection between the float bowl and the main body is then it is a gasket that needs checking/replacing.

Throttle cables: It sounds like it is binding the cable somewhere. If you have it off the carbs and just loose can you go full open/full close and see the wires moving smoothly? If so you just need to straighten your cables out, if not you need some penetrating lubricant on the cables.

Cables are easiest to put on the carbs before you slide it between the frame and engine. Try connecting the cables, then sliding the carb in. Then test with the throttle before you connect it to the engine. If it doesn't bind you're good to go, if it does then you need to re-run the throttle cables until you get smooth motion.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What year and model? Cables get rusty. Best to replace. Has the exhaust system been modified? Have the carbs ever been cleaned? Give us some history on the bike. Update your profile and put your model and year of bike in your signature please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good call on the o ring. cables are smooth. it's really tight trying to put on even with them to the side. before I took the carbs off cables were fine and now well... then by no power I mean it has plenty of electrical juice. fires right up. but slow acceleration and just seems really bogged down. then when i switch gears no matter how smooth I try to make it it suddenly takes off like it's kicking into overdrive then immediately goes back to bogging down. doesn't seem to want to go above 45 or so

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
year and type was in my sig. exhaust is original doesn't seem to be any mods then it looks like it's been forever since the carbs were even touched. they were really dirty but all clean now

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
but slow acceleration and just seems really bogged down. then when i switch gears it suddenly takes off like it's kicking into overdrive then immediately goes back to bogging down. doesn't seem to want to go above 45 or so

Interesting... If the plugs look good and the inside of the plug caps are taken apart and found to be clean.. hmm.. Did you mix up the jets when you had the carb apart? Common mistake. It's out there, but the cdi could be going to pot. Can you rev the bike above 6k RPM's?

Sounds to me like the jets were crossed.That would totally explain your problem.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Your bike is only running on one cylinder most of the time. Then occasionally, the other one will kick in. My 650 last week was doing the exact same thing. It started OK, but I immediately noticed that it was slow to rev up, even in neutral. And it popped every couple of seconds. I took it out for a run to see if I could ride thru the problem. Sure enough, after about 2 miles, the other cylinder kicked in and everything was normal.

I'm not sure what my initial problems actually was, but I suspect carb crud blocking a jet for a bit. You can touch your header pipes gingerly and tell if one side isn't firing. Careful, you can leave skin there too if you stay too long.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This will sound dumb, but it solved this exact issue on my bike once:

Did you forget to put one of the main jets back in?

Also:

This could be an air thing for the lack of power, what is the status of your filter and do you have anything covering the intake hole?

Where is the idle stop screw at? If it is way in that could be a problem.

Did you replace your gaskets when you cleaned the carb? Did you replace the air valves?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting... If the plugs look good and the inside of the plug caps are taken apart and found to be clean.. hmm.. Did you mix up the jets when you had the carb apart? Common mistake. It's out there, but the cdi could be going to pot. Can you rev the bike above 6k RPM's?

Sounds to me like the jets were crossed.That would totally explain your problem.

only revs to about 6400. right header is cold so replaced plug and still nothing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.