Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you Turbo fans. I am hoping to join you in a few days but I have a question.

The bike I am looking at may have a bad cam chain, how hard is it to repair compared

to a normally aspirated CX500???. I have done a '78 with no problems.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For better or worse, the deed is done. I have not seen the bike in person but the photos and video look good

and I feel comfortable with the seller. The price of the package was reasonable. The bike has 33,000 miles on it

and the cam chain probably has not been changed. The bike has always been carefully maintained.

How long should that cam chain last under good conditions???? I will get the bike this weekend and

I can hardly wait. Talk about a kid with a new toy!!!! Dan White, this is all your fault.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
For better or worse, the deed is done. I have not seen the bike in person but the photos and video look good

and I feel comfortable with the seller. The price of the package was reasonable. The bike has 33,000 miles on it

and the cam chain probably has not been changed. The bike has always been carefully maintained.

How long should that cam chain last under good conditions???? I will get the bike this weekend and

I can hardly wait. Talk about a kid with a new toy!!!! Dan White, this is all your fault.
The chain can last 100K ... or it might go in 20K. There is no set rule. Check the auto adjuster with a mirror to see how far it is extended.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got her home, 1192 miles in 22 hours including time for loading and all that.

Doing my little maint and repair, oil change, air pressures, cleaning and so on.

Have not ridden her yet due to jet lag/fatigue and weather. Why do they put an 80MPH

speedometer on a 125 MPH plus bike. I was shocked. Do all Turbos have that speedometer???

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats on getting the turbo! About the speedometer...

It was due to a short-lived U.S. Federal law, to wit:

From Wikipedia:

"On September 1, 1979, in a rulemaking that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the NHTSA required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph. However, on October 22, 1981, the NHTSA proposed eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were unlikely to yield significant safety benefits".

Could be worse. 1974 model cars needed to have a "seat belt starter interlock" that prevented the car from starting unless the driver and passenger's seat belts were buckled if the seat sensors indicated that there was someone on the seat. Of course, there were malfunctions that created dangerous no-start situations, and the requirement was scrapped.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I find my 650TD speedometer is 6-10 mph optimistic, depending upon the speed (more error on the high end). It is a quality instrument and is consistant in its overeportage, however. I've checked it with the GPS.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Could be 150, I haven't looked at it in months.

Still about as accurate as a Harbor Freight Tire gauge.

It's possible that either the magnet or spring is worn, or the unit needs to be lubed, but it's nowhere near accurate at speed.

I'd estimate at least five miles per hour under indicated 65.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
The fact that speedometers almost always give an optimistic higher speed indication has all to do with product liability.

It is to prefent the driver to cliam that he wasn't knowingly speeding ( causing an accident ) because the speedometer indicated a lower speed which ofcourse the driver claims he knew nothing about. The driver could then sue the car/motorcycle manufacturer.

So lets say with a mechanical inaccury of 3 miles per hour, the manufacturer would go on the save side and adjust the speedometer to read 5 miles faster.

With this tolerance at 100 Mph some meters would indicate 100+5-3 = 102 Mph
or worse case 100+5+3 = 108 Mph

Pim

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Congrats on the bike! Do you have some pics or links to pics?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the only photo I have at this time. I must be some sort of dummy, I also bought the black '78 while I was there. "78 is not running but I am sure I can fix it.

Also in the deal I got a like new seat for a CX650T, will it fit the CX500T??? If not it is for sale.

This bike was supposedly owned by a collector and he had the paint re-done to the exact factory color scheme.

The bike has 33,000 miles on it and the seat has been recovered, I do not see that being a collector bike, but.........Cosmetically the bike is very good, mechanically I am not sure yet, have not had a chance to ride it

but the weekend promises to be warm so I will finally get her out. Well lookie there, I found another pic. These were taken by the PO at his home in Colorado Springs. There is a small chip in the gray on the fairing and another down lower in the white. Those are the only blemishes I have seen. The spots on the concrete drive are from melting snow.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grinnin' from ear to ear, I finally got to ride my CX500TC today. It is what I expected

and more. It is top heavy as I expected but I had no idea how fast it would be. The turbo works!!

I have ridden what I thought was a pretty fast bike but nothing prepared me for the Turbo Boost.

It was easy to ride and handled perfect. I did not think the rear brake had enough

stopping power while doing slow manuvers, got to check that out.

A friend has a Magna with about 80 HP or so and I took all it had but it never felt like this turbo.

I can not imagine a CX650TC. This is not an old man's bike but I like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.