Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running these batteries? I've seen a few posts with guys using them and wondering how they perform. I want to get one for my cafe racer build because they are so small and will be easier to hide.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would be afraid that the stator might charge the cells to fast and have a cell blow up. So although a neat idea, I to would want to hear that someone has used this type without trouble and not just for a day or two before going in that direction.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The A123 cells are a LiFEO4 chemistry and are a metal shell lithium battery that handles rapid discharge and charge with very little loss of lifetime. The RC airplane guys use and abuse them and take them well past their recommended rates with little to no degradation in performance. These are very dis-similar to the other Lithium chemistries available, in that the others will not tolerate over charging or too rapid of a discharge without significant damage.

Several guys on the CB SOHC/4 forum use them and are happy with them.

They will last longer than the typical Lead Acid battery.

They do have an unusual discharge curve and when they discharge it is more like a cliff. Trying to run them past that point can cause damage. So, if you have a charging system problem they will strand you with little warning.

Typical lead acid discharge curve will give you less and less voltage and current until it can't support the bike to run. These will seem fine and when they hit their discharge cliff they will go from nearly 2V a cell to what seems like zero with little warning.

They also maintain a charge much better than other Lithium chemistries.

A 4AH or higher capacity battery with A123 cells will be sufficient if you don't use the starter a lot and your charging system is good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the type of info I was looking for RAFster, thanks. I have been trying to do a ton of reading on them and don't think they will be a problem starting or running the bike, my main concern was the charging. I see your'e in Sierra Vista, spent 2 years there myself ('95-'97) when I was in the Army. I bet it has changed tons since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts