Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally took the plunge the other week and bought a 1983 honda cx500 E (uk sports model). I've always wanted to build a cafe racer and have built lots of other things including streetfighters but this style is always one I have loved.

First of all I trawled the net and found a cx 500 I thought was a good candidate however like normal the scumbag that sold me it didnt name half the problems and the bike is basically a pile of scrap. A full nut and bolt job is required, I dont think this is beyond my skill however its going to take a lot longer.

Anyways my starting point as with many of my projects is I quickly shopped up a general idea of what I want to achieve the result is below: (the quality is terrible and it only took 10 minutes but you get the general idea)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Spoke

if you liked tha quick photoshop check out my other concepts at: Concept bikes - a set on Flickr

My pick up of the bike and my progress so far to follow soon.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If you want to make a bike like that from a Euro you've got right old job on as
the pic has the wrong frame, wheels, tank and forks for starters
Its also got twins shocks whereas the Euro is prolink

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to make a bike like that from a Euro you've got right old job on as
the pic has the wrong frame, wheels, tank and forks for starters
Its also got twins shocks whereas the Euro is prolink
nope it hasnt the cx500 E (which mine is, is classed as the UK Sports Model according to the haynes manual). this is the same shape as mine. I'll show progess soon to show I have the right tank frame etc. Thanks for the concern though!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the E and the Eurosport edition confuse people. I have a CX500A UK spec and my Dad has the CX500 E as it is referred to on the V5 but the bikes are identical.
Checked out the artwork and oh my!

I just wish I had the graphic skills needed in order to mock up my bike like that so that I can see how my finished project will look.
If your drawing is anything like your bike building this will be a great project to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the E and the Eurosport edition confuse people. I have a CX500A UK spec and my Dad has the CX500 E as it is referred to on the V5 but the bikes are identical.
Checked out the artwork and oh my!

I just wish I had the graphic skills needed in order to mock up my bike like that so that I can see how my finished project will look.
If your drawing is anything like your bike building this will be a great project to keep an eye on.
I can mock yours up, if you wanted me too?? thanks for the help with the models etc.

Technically, a CX500 Eurosport is designated as a CX500 EC, and the CX650 Eurosport is a CX650 ED
Thats what I thought and thanks for clarifying my thoughts upon the models! They really are quite confusing to us newbies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's some nice Photoshop skills you have there :)

I've bought my first bike last week (will be picking it up tomorrow - exciting!) which is a Dutch '82 CX500E Sport and that one does have a different frame and the Pro-Link rear suspension. From what I could find on the web it also has a bit longer wheelbase and a slightly bigger diameter for the forks. Oh, and 3-spoked comstars (?), as can be seen on my introduction post: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/20815-hi-there-introduction.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's some nice Photoshop skills you have there :)

I've bought my first bike last week (will be picking it up tomorrow - exciting!) which is a Dutch '82 CX500E Sport and that one does have a different frame and the Pro-Link rear suspension. From what I could find on the web it also has a bit longer wheelbase and a slightly bigger diameter for the forks. Oh, and 3-spoked comstars (?), as can be seen on my introduction post: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/20815-hi-there-introduction.html
Thanks! need to keep us updated, will you be modding it at all?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I have plenty of plans and ideas to modify it into a cafe/brat, but no skills (yet) and limited budget so I'm going to take my time on this and learn as much as I can. I'll be posting my design (will be using Sketchbook Pro for that) and my plans soon™ in my own thread :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I have plenty of plans and ideas to modify it into a cafe/brat, but no skills (yet) and limited budget so I'm going to take my time on this and learn as much as I can. I'll be posting my design (will be using Sketchbook Pro for that) and my plans soon™ in my own thread :)
good luck! budget cafes sometimes turn out best anyways!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bike had been stood since 1993 apparently with it only clocking up 17,000 miles.

So the start of the actual build and this is how I picked up the bike, yes it was scary, yes its a challenge, but I think I can do it.......hopefully

View attachment 3555
View attachment 3556
View attachment 3559

after picking up the bike I decided to start by cleaning up the frame from all the rust.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I have never seen or heard of any reference to CX500E 'sports'
Eurosports ie 500EC or 650 ED ? yep plenty
I know of the very late models with single spine frames and TI ignition twin pot calipers which are tarted up ZABs
Cs Ds CBs CCs and and import GLs/wings 500 and 400 which look like Bs at first glance but in all these years
the 'sports' version musta crept past me unnoticed.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi from Hedon, Hull

I have a fair few bikes and spares, if your desperate for anything, PM me

regards

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picture links don't work for me
Hmm not working for me either I will repost this! sorry guys!

Hi from Hedon, Hull

I have a fair few bikes and spares, if your desperate for anything, PM me

regards
Hi Dickie yer quite desperate for some parts. really need a pressure plate for the clutch and a right hand fork leg as mine has bent. Need a camshaft, fan and side panels probably a bit more when I think about it too! if we could get a good deal going I'd come asap!

thanks so much

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been working hard all week (with many hangovers and late nights) however I've got most of the fab wok done. Pictures of progress so far to be uploaded tonight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi guys sorry about the lack of updates been very busy. you have all been a lot of help especially Dickie! Bike is coming along nicely will update pictures in morning/ today only just got in from the garage and ready for bed.I'll upload pictures from the start as some people had a problem viewing the first couple I put up.

Anyways still looking for a few parts inc:

pressure sender unit
side panels (to cover battery area) (uk model style)
front brake lever,pot etc. (off any bike would do really)
proper right hand side switch gear. (mines a bit dodgey but useable if not)

may need a standard loom as well as mine has been "modified", bike is a 1983 cx500 uk model.

Also looking for some aftermarket parts if anyone can help :

chrome universal speedo
megaphone style exhaust cans/mufflers/silencers/ whatever you want to call them
Brown grips (not essential as I may wrap in leather)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts