Honda CX 500 Forum banner

A winter project

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Shep 
#1 ·
Well I found a little gem, in my mind. It goes by the handle of 1969 Yamaha 100 L5-TA. It is an Enduro, and everything

works, lights, horn, speedo. Kinda unique and in gr8 condition. Has a 2 stroke engine with automatic lubrication done by

not mixing the fuel and gasoline, but rather via oil storage tank which through an oil pump injects oil into the engine

internally. Odometer show 2650 miles, which according to the PO is accurate, as it has been in his possesion for 24 years

and barely ever rode it. Prior to his ownership the Forestry Service had it for checking their towers, it replaced their

horses, barely for it is only 8hp.

$500.00 with $300 of new parts in boxes, so essentially $200 for a 41 year old runner.

A couple of pics HERE and Here. Mine is the burgundy version.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
One of the amazing things about this bike I have found is, on E-Bay, there are 582 parts listed for sale for it. With

that I have found a couple of links to other sources of parts. I still get amazed daily by the info available online.

BTW when reading the "Users Guide" also found online, this bike uses straight 30 weight oil in the injection tank. I

don't even know if they still sell straight 30 anymore? I suppose 10W-30 would suffice.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Great little bike.I loved my old BSA Bantam 175 cc Two stroke.

You can get two stroke oil from lawn mower suppliers and some larger DIY stores and even Ebay but watch out for silly prices so shop around,

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr..._nkw=two+stroke+oil&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Remember that in a two-stroke engine the crankcase is part of the combustion cycle and pressurised so any leaks from crank case/gaskets will cause problems.

Shep, thing is, this is not a fuel/oil mix like other 2 smokers, the oil from the oil resevoir tank, is injected directly

into the combustion chamber/cylinder for lubrication. The seperate pump runs off the engine through a reduction gear and

the amount injected is determined by engine speed and throttle position. I am still figuring this all out, but it does not

use the traditional 2 stroke oil, but a heavier 30 weight engine oil. Strange little bike....so far...but interesting

because it does not appear abused and is complete front to back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.