Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a pretty good day,,I watched the NASCAR race from Michigan,,Jimmy Johnston's car blew up while he was leading the race with 6 laps to go,,I enjoyed that.

So after the race at about 5:30pm I decided to go for a quick drive on the bike.

I headed toward Wickam, a small community(you couldn't call it a town) on the Saint John River. I could have taken a couple of different ways to get there,,I could follow the Washademoak Lake from home all the way down to the Saint John River or take a short-cut through a gravel road(not as scenic but quicker), I opted for the quick route.

I was cruising along through a wooded stretch when I saw a partridge on the other side of the road that looked like it was going to run across in front of me. I did not know whether to slow down or speed up. I decided to give it the gas. The bird started across slowly but then it decided to speed up and take wing,,not a good idea.

He hit either the headlight or just below it,,I was afraid it broke the light but it didn't. I stopped and went back, it was still alive. I felt bad for the poor thing, I was thinking I should break it's neck to put it out of it's misery, but it died after a minute or so.

I wished I had taken the scenic route and hoped it wasn't a bad omen.

I left there and continued through the woods until I came to the river.

I noticed this plant growing in a lot of places along the road.

I think it is hogweed,,apparently it is bad stuff. It can cause skin rash and even temporary blindness. I don't recall seeing it before, it is not around home but I have heard that it is spreading in the province.

Anyone know if that is what this plant is?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next I came to Lower Kars. I went out an old road I had never noticed before, it was about 3 miles or so long and just came out to an old farmstead. I met a guy that was loading firewood onto a trailer and stopped and chatted with him for a while and then moved on.

I took another small gravel road out to a point where the Belleisle bay meets the Saint John River. I took a series of pics and stitched them together. I posted a pic of this same area a few weeks ago in the River Valley Ride thread, but that pic was taken from the other side of the bay.

Some fortunate person just built this house on the point and has an awesome view.

I left there and took an old road that was pretty rough, one section was a steep hill that was washed out badly.,I wouldn't take my car through it, but it was not too bad on the bike. the road brought me out to a place called Tennant's Cove.

The road follows the cove out to another point.

When I was coming back out the road I came around a turn and there were two deer standing in the road. The buck took off into the woods but the doe just ran into a small field and stood looking at me. It was starting to get dark so the flash went of, reflecting in her eyes. Notice the same plant growing behind her.

I continued on up the Belleisle shore on the way home.

I am glad I don't have an expensive new shiny bike,,I wouldn't want to go on gravel roads with it,,the CX is almost a go anywhere machine.

A little story about Tennants cove.

A Witch Burning – Tennant’s Cove, New Brunswick

Things were not as usual in Tennant’s Cove in 1820. The crops were dying, the animals ill. Bad luck plagued the community. Under such circumstances, it was determined that a witch must be at work. A suitable woman was found; an elderly lady, boarding with a widow and her children, was subjected to the fire test.

Based on methods popularized during the Salem Witch Trials over a century earlier, the fire test was a trial by fire of sorts. The old woman was bound to a chair in the centre of her widowed caretaker’s kitchen. A circle was traced in red chalk around the chair, and those involved as witnesses or jury sat in a semi-circle, holding hands, and with the chair-bound woman between them and a large fireplace. After assurances that the woman would not be harmed unless she was in league with Satan, the group’s leader read a passage from scripture and then held up an iron horseshoe. Were she to prove not a witch, he said, then God would protect her but should she be guilty, then she would become as hot as the horseshoe. He then dropped the horseshoe into the fire.

The old woman screeched in agony. She writhed in her chair, fighting her bindings, and begged for mercy. Fearing for her life, several of the witnesses broke from the circle, some untying the woman as another pushed the horseshoe clear of the hearth with a broom. The widow insisted that the torment stop, and had the lady taken to her room. Thought she showed no physical signs of burns, the old woman cried from pain as she rested on her bed. For days she lingered until, one morning, she began to scream that they were burning her again. As the widow, her children and neighbours watched in confusion, the old woman on the bed grew weaker and continued to moan in pain. A desperate search of the house revealed that the horseshoe had somehow been knocked back into the fire. By the next morning, the suspected witch of Tennant’s Cove was dead from her invisible burns.

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
Allan, those are great photos, aside from the carnage.

The mentalist in me approaches the civility of this......
....begged for mercy. Fearing for her life

Why?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Today was a pretty good day,,I watched the NASCAR race from Michigan,,Jimmy Johnston's car blew up while he was leading the race with 6 laps to go,,I enjoyed that.

So after the race at about 5:30pm I decided to go for a quick drive on the bike.

I headed toward the Wickam, a small community(you couldn't call it a town) on the Saint John River. I could have taken a couple of different ways to get there,,I could follow the Washademoak Lake from home all the way down to the Saint John River or take a short-cut through a gravel road(not as scenic but quicker), I opted for the quick route.

I was cruising along through a wooded stretch when I saw a partridge on the other side of the road that looked like it was going to run across in front of me. I did not know whether to slow down or speed up. I decided to give it the gas.
The bird started across slowly but then it decided to speed up and take wing,,not a good idea.

He hit either the headlight or just below it,,I was afraid it broke the light but it didn't. I stopped and went back, it was still alive. I felt bad for the poor thing, I was thinking I should break it's neck to put it out of it's misery, but it died after a minute or so.

I wished I had taken the scenic route and hoped it wasn't a bad omen.

I left there and continued through the woods until I came to the river.

I noticed this plant growing in a lot of places along the road.

I think it is hogweed,,apparently it is bad stuff. It can cause skin rash and even temporary blindness. I don't recall seeing it before, it is not around home but I have heard that it is spreading in the province.

Anyone know if that is what this plant is?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, flubbed on my ... I mean your quote. When my duck was heading across the road, I slowed down some distance away to allow it to cross , halfway into the oncoming lane, it turned around to go back! It ended up much like your partridge! Do those weeds have a real strong scent ? Nice pics !

Tuy_Kat

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allan, those are great photos, aside from the carnage.

The mentalist in me approaches the civility of this......

Why?

I dunno Ramp,,,,,,,,,,it was a bit before my time.

Sorry, flubbed on my ... I mean your quote. When my duck was heading across the road, I slowed down some distance away to allow it to cross , halfway into the oncoming lane, it turned around to go back! It ended up much like your partridge! Do those weeds have a real strong scent ? Nice pics !

Tuy_Kat

I did not notice any smell from the plants, but I did look on the interweb,,and I think it may be "Cow Parsnip" not "Giant Hogweed".

Apparently Cow Parsnip also causes a rash but is not as bad as the Hogweed.

There is a video here that compares the two.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Love the pics, looks like a relaxing ride. Quite the cloud of feathers on the side of the road. Always a hard situation when something like that happens. Deciding what to do is difficult when you can't see the damage done. I'm sure before the nite was over something skoffed it and was thanking you for it. K

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure before the nite was over something skoffed it and was thanking you for it. K

Funny you should mention that,,when I took the pics of that weed, I was talking to a couple of guys that were fishing,,I told them that I had hit a partridge and they wanted to know how far away it was,,,if it had been closer they were going to go and get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts