Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my GL650I up to original condition or close to original. I have seen a photo that shows this bike with a PVC valve screwed into the inspection port on the rear cover. The parts fische does not show the PVC valve, is my bike a California model or??? Where can I get a PVC valve for it??? Some of you GL650 owners may have an answer for this.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It's not really a PCV valve per se (it's hollow).

If you look at the modern microfiche schematics, the part is not even listed, not in the European or American specs for either the GL650 standard or GL650I.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume this part was thought to be necessary for proper crankcase ventilation. Should I try to find a suitable replacement for this item???

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I don't think that it is necessary.

The GL650 is also ventilated near the back of the engine casing, just like the CX650.

I have never really been able to figure out why the GL is ventilated the way it is.

I find that this design tends to suck up more oil into the air filter because the crankcase ventilation port is directly below the air filter. Kind of stupid, really.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The crankcase is specifically vented to the airbox so the blowby fumes will be sucked into the engine and burned. Blowby fumes are nothing if not unburned hydrocarbons and water. The white chamber below the airbox is the vapor separator where the majority of the oil droplets will settle out from the vapor, if the engine should be so sick as to pump out that much oil. All part of the effort to minimize smog...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a 82 gl500i (usa)part # are

cyl head plug # 90547-415-305

timing inspection / breather plug #12361-415-610

o ring 91302-001-000

breather tube 95005-12460-20

out of haynes manual #442

any one have any drawings or pic's of what this looks like ?

& how the breather cap hooks into OEM breather tubes to air box ?

newbie here help please ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts