Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Excellent. Besides using up all your elbow grease making them shiny, what else did you do to them ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only ever wanted one CX but when I had the chance to buy a really early one I had to buy two of them to get the one I wanted.

Both bikes have been completely rebuilt from the ground up. Engines all fully stripped and checked. Bores honed, re ringed, every seal, o ring and gasket replaced. The second bike is fitted with a NOS engine block as the bores were water stained and I couldn’t find a decent used one.

Valves ground, everything polished or painted where applicable. The early bikes engine is bare metal and it took me weeks of solid work with scotchbrite to clean every part of the engine.

New hoses, thermostats, cables where required. Re chrome of exhaust heat shields and re covering of one seat after both bases powder coated.

Every bit of running gear has been powder coated, every bearing replaced, forks stripped, rebuild and re finished.

All clocks rebuilt with new 7v regulators. Every piston in every calliper or master cylinder replaced and all items restored to new.

New tyres on both bikes. Every bit of paintwork has been re finished to the original colour specification.

The early bike has been fitted with genuine NOS seat, complete exhaust including H box, chrome coolant pipe, rear shocks, headlamp rim and Toolkit.

The second bike has OEM down pipes and H box with pattern silencers but does have OEM toolkit.

I have a dislike of cheap pattern parts and these bikes have been rebuilt using 99% genuine Honda parts.

Its been a labour of love but they’re done now so onto the next project when I find it.

Below are photos of the early bikes engine, before and after!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Beautiful!
They are now in an ideal condition to convert into a Cafe Racer.

....i`m joking, although you`ll see plenty of chumps on ebay asking 5 - 10 thousand pounds for a butchered CX. I really do pity the fools that buy into that crap.
It`s a sign of the times that a properly restored one like your two probably wouldn`t see anywhere near that, not that you did it for the money, i`m guessing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do cringe a little when I see some of the conversions but each man to his own I suppose! It wouldn’t do for us to all like the same thing but I do wonder if the modified bikes ever sell at the inflated prices shown?

Anyway, I did the CX’s because I always wanted one and I guess I just got carried away, I tend to do that with my restorations.

The slightly later bike will be sold in the spring to fund the early bike that I want to keep and I’ll move on to something else! I suspect it will appeal to someone who want a nice standard bike and as for price, who knows!

Many thanks for your input.??

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is some beautiful work. I am new to these bikes and am wondering; Would you expect to be able to sell for in the $5K range, and would that price even make it worthwhile to labor such for the financial return? I Paid $2300 for mine, a 1982 GL500I. It is in pretty nice shape (paint), but I know will benefit , probably a lot, with much refinement! At what cost, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Having restored these two bikes I am under no illusion that the financial cost of restoration to this standard has probably cost more that I would get for the bikes if I were to sell. I’ve done this before on a really early SL350K0.

Sometimes, for me at least, it’s not always about the money but it’s about saving a nice piece of biking history from the scrap heap and I simply could not let them go like that. As I said before, I only wanted the really early one but had to buy the second one as well or the deal was off.

The second bike was in a poor state and nearly recognisable as a CX and most people would have simply scrapped it, but as a retired old git with a huge interest in old Japanese iron I saw it as a challenge and the money became secondary to some extent.

I like the CX, there’s something about them and although I do have a number of other bikes, I think the early one at least will be with me for the long haul!

Restoration costs can be horrendous but other than powder coating and the show quality paint jobs, I do everything else myself and of course costs are determined by the standard to which you want to make the bike and I guess that a lot of it is personal taste and I like my bikes as near as possible to the day they rolled off the production line.

Good luck with what you do and remember, if owning and riding a bike makes you happy then it doesn’t really matter what it is or what it looks like, just enjoy it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts