Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually frequent the local Honda motorcycle shop, as it's the only dealer within 20 miles, and they usually can source parts for me for around the same prices as BikeBandit, except with free and faster shipping.

I learned that one of the mechanics was also a CX-enthusiast. So I finally saw his bike when riding up to the Honda Shop one day (this was a few months ago, I'm just now getting around to posting this)and snuck into the shop to ask for him. He was busy, but upon hearing that I too rode a CX, he dropped everything to come out and chat with me. It's an epic feeling to have someone drop what they're doing to not only talk about bikes with you, but to talk about CX's with you!

He has been riding them since they were brand new, and has also been modifying and cafe'ing them. He's one of the best mechanics that works at our Honda shop, and at any given time if you peek into the shop you can see him working on several bikes at once. Today I saw TWO CBX's, and a KZ1300! I guess it's inline six week lol.

With his permission, I'm posting all of the pics I took of his GL/CX cafe racer. He calls it a CX, though I think it's really a GL, so in order to not infuriate the Gurus on the site, I'm just typing both lol.

The front end is off of a CBR, using the original Triple Clamp, machined to fit everything. The seat is 100% custom made by an upholstery shop. Today when chatting with him, he mentioned how he just discovered the Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese seats being sold on eBay, and wishes he would have bought them. He said that they cost probably around half as much as he spent on his.

The wheels are off of the CX turbo. The tank/side covers are of course off of a GL. This is NOT the finished product. It is currently nearing its completion, and more pics will be posted once it's done. The only thing it needs is paint.

My pics were focusing on the crash bars as I have the exact same pair, and at the time I was taking the pics I didn't know how to mount the bars! Now I know.

Anyhow, The full album over at imgur can be found by clicking this link. The highlights are below. Hope you all enjoy. If anyone has any questions, I'll be able to forward them to my friend. I try not to mention his name, as I already feel anxious enough posting someone else's bike online, although he's made clear that he's 100% ok with it, and even asked me today why I haven't posted them yet! So here they are.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Well it is a gl but looks good. I like the little idiot lights. I was thinking of doing something similar since when I ride with my gps attached it covers up the turn signals. I don't need to know which direction they are blinking just that they are on or off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And it's only going to get shinier! He was telling me today how everyone told him how great it looked when all he has on there is a coat of black primer. He says once people see the real paint job either they'll crap their pants, or they'll just stop commenting. I'm a bit anxious to see it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.