Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting struts on my bike tommorrow along with a few other things. I figure the center stand isn't going to do much good afterwards so it will be taken off before hand which leads to my first question. Do I need to remove the exhaust before jacking my bike? Can I just put the motorcycle jack on the h-box? Also how about the kickstand? Will it need to be shortenend or can I leave it the stock length? The biggest question I have is if I have to pull the motor out how do I go about it without a center stand?

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
What do you mean by "struts" ?

Many posts here refer to dropping the motor by having a simple small milk crate to support it while taking off the mount bolts. Mufflers and header pipes can be taken off as one unit, along with the H box....I think.

Definitely don't use the H box as a support. If you mean you are putting on new front end, then I would suggest supporting the frame via the hangar method. Find a suitable strap to grab the top rail of the frame under the tank and hang it from the ceiling joists if you have them. Tank off, of course.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks blindstich. After thinking about it for a few your probably right (you usally are). I don't think the mounts for the h- box would hold the weight.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When I do anything with the front end of my CX, I put it on the center stand and put a jack under the motor, there isn't much weight it's holding, and it's never made me nervous at all...

·
Registered
724 Posts
one of the first things i removed was the centerstand. it had a broken spring and after i lowered the bike it didn't work anyways. i just put a jack on the front of the motor just behind the front cover. doesnt balance for shit. i've seen alot of people holding their bikes up on milk crates. i haven't been brave enough to try that yet but it looks like it would hold :\

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have mine lowered a good bit also, but I have some 2x4's that I stack up under the motor to get it airborn....it works OK, but you have to cross stack them or they will collapse. Since my bike is only about 8 inches off the ground, it only takes a few layers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts