Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get the idle dialed in just right. First of all, I have no speedometer or tachometer. I removed all that for my build. I've got straight pipes and pod filters, 90/125 jets and 3 turns out on the needles. The bike runs great, is very snappy when nailing the throttle and has great acceleration. So without being able to actually see the RPM's, whats the best way of determining if it's at the 1100 area at idle? Should the idle be like a purr or like a blap blap blap like a harley? If I turn the screw for a faster idle it feels like it's too high, but if I turn it so it's slower like a harley it wants to almost stall on me when I come to a stop. If I get it so it's just in between the two then it wants to fluctuate up and down. If I blip the throttle it will go real low almost to stall and then come back up again, and does the same thing when riding and coming to a stop. Are these bikes meant to have a bit of a faster idle? Because when it is faster it doesn't almost stall. I need help on this one. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
With your custom exhaust your really acting for a mind reader.

I would say to turn the idle up to the point where it doesn't die out. The difference between some exhaust and no exhaust is a pretty big sound range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.