Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tore the carbs off my cx650c because i had a gas leak, to discover the leak was coming from a brass plug with a weep hole in it. Not much of a carb guy, and my carb guru is on vacation, anyone know what is the cause of this is.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You may need to tell us a little more information. Where is this "brass plug" ? Where is the weep hole"? I am unaware of any brass plugs w/weep holes on these carbs. If it is draining from the overflow nipple on the bottom of the float bowl, it is either the overflow tube is cracked inside, or the drain screw/valve is leaking. If it is leaking out the brass vent nipple on the carb body, you have a sticking float valve and a clogged overflow system.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There are two small brass spigots one on each carb inside the frame.These are float bowl overflows.They can get clogged.AFAIK they are an auxiliary safety feature and vent like the internal Brass tubes in case the bowls overfill.This is the case on my none Accelerator pump type Keihin carbs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two nipples one on the outside of each carb body, they face each other when the carbs are assembled and gas is leaking from the left carb nipple

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Those are actually atmospheric vents for the carbs. There should never be any leaking from them as I think they may even be a little higher up than the bottom of the venturi. You must have a overflow hose clogged (easy test, just pull off bottom of float bowl). Or maybe a clogged overflow tube in the float bowl. That and a sticking open float needle.

I'm betting on a clogged hose. Take it off and try to blow thru it. And then tap your float bowl as it fills using a screwdriver handle. You may jar the float into closing and be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.