Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'80 CX500 C German 1G I think
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple of pictures and questions regarding the radiator:

1. I am having a good bit of fluid leak out the bottom of the front of the radiator. What is causing this? Did I overfill it? I was not able to start the bike after adding a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar yesterday (~1.9 Quarts of the mix), because the bike doesn't start yet. I am just using the mix to get an initial cleaning of the radiator and partially clean the cooling system. After adding the mix to the radiator it began to pool up in the channel at the bottom of the radiator and then leak out once the channel filled (in the pic I am pointing at the channel I am referring to). What's going on here, do yall have any experience with this, am I just stupid?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

2. Can anybody help me identify what this part is and its importance? When I removed the radiator yesterday, as soon as I moved the radiator forward this little piece fell on the floor and I have no clue where it is from or if it was even installed anywhere (maybe it was just sitting behind the radiator?). It is a plastic screw with a plastic washer and a metal nut on it.
Tire Wheel Hand Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Thanks for any knowledge you all might have on these troubles.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would not think that part in your hand pic is the cause of your leak...
Sometimes rust flakes stop leaks then once the radiator is flushed leaks are evident.
I would think your leak is likely just a corroded fin rather than the whole bottom but others may have other thoughts....

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
#3 true especially if not pressurized (re-read the OP)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts

Are you sure that part is plastic? It looks like the screw from a stock hose clamp with the head missing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Are you sure that part is plastic? It looks like the screw from a stock hose clamp with the head missing.
yes it is for sure plastic of some sore, it is slightly bendable

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you spill coolant filling the system it runs to the bottom and across to the left side.

Sure it's actually leaking?
I am not sure that it is actually leaking, I did end up spilling some coolant however if i dry up the channel it does fill back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts