Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have the engine out and replaced the cam chain and mechanical seal. It's waiting to go back in the bike when the weather warms up. Since I buttoned it up, I have come across a couple of issues that may require the back cover to come off again. looking for some opinions on these two items:

1. I used a strap wrench to hold the alternator rotor in place while I tightened the bolt but could not torque it to the recommended 58-72 ft.lbs. Should I redo it using some other method or should it be OK at a lesser torque setting?

I obviously don't want it coming loose while riding.

2. I read somewhere (after the fact) that loctite should be used on the cam sprocket bolts and the water pump cap nut. If this is critical I will remove the back cover and do this. What's your opinion?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Barry,take it back out.

torque values are there for a reason.you must follow them,or suffer the results

yes,a little locktight on those bolts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

Is there a way of locking the rotor/crank without removing the front engine cover?
yes,there is.

undo the 17mm cap nut under your radiator,put a socket,extension and wrench on the exposed nut.with adequate protection,position this[your wrench] against the clutch cover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.