Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the engine out and replaced the cam chain and mechanical seal. It's waiting to go back in the bike when the weather warms up. Since I buttoned it up, I have come across a couple of issues that may require the back cover to come off again. looking for some opinions on these two items:

1. I used a strap wrench to hold the alternator rotor in place while I tightened the bolt but could not torque it to the recommended 58-72 ft.lbs. Should I redo it using some other method or should it be OK at a lesser torque setting?

I obviously don't want it coming loose while riding.

2. I read somewhere (after the fact) that loctite should be used on the cam sprocket bolts and the water pump cap nut. If this is critical I will remove the back cover and do this. What's your opinion?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have the engine out and replaced the cam chain and mechanical seal. It's waiting to go back in the bike when the weather warms up. Since I buttoned it up, I have come across a couple of issues that may require the back cover to come off again. looking for some opinions on these two items:

1. I used a strap wrench to hold the alternator rotor in place while I tightened the bolt but could not torque it to the recommended 58-72 ft.lbs. Should I redo it using some other method or should it be OK at a lesser torque setting?

I obviously don't want it coming loose while riding.

2. I read somewhere (after the fact) that loctite should be used on the cam sprocket bolts and the water pump cap nut. If this is critical I will remove the back cover and do this. What's your opinion?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Barry,take it back out.

torque values are there for a reason.you must follow them,or suffer the results

yes,a little locktight on those bolts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Do NOT run the bike if the correct toque settings have not been achieved.

There are several ways of locking the Crank to get the correct torque settings.I use an old gear box cog

but even a penny can be used,

And a correct tool can be made(See manual) and even a Rag stuffed between the Clutch and crank gears can be used.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

Is there a way of locking the rotor/crank without removing the front engine cover?
yes,there is.

undo the 17mm cap nut under your radiator,put a socket,extension and wrench on the exposed nut.with adequate protection,position this[your wrench] against the clutch cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.