Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would some one know if a CX500-Turbo clutch will fit a Non-Turbo CX500 or a CX650 Turbo fit a Non Turbo CX500.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Let me first ask why? Just about everything Turbo is turning to gold. If your looking for a stiffer clutch you can put in different springs, but that may not be why you ask.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dan for having primed me regarding cost, having not yet priced a turbo clutch I'm sure your correct and stiffer clutch wasn't the entire reason. To answer your question further, it stands to reason that a turbo clutch would be stonger,with more even pressure having 6 springs as opposed to 4, even posibbly lighter by use of lighter and stronger alloys and overall better clutch design. It gives me more options to choose from and possibly it may also have a more desirable ratio between the clutch and primary gears for my application of variables such as larger rear tire creating more load on the engine and how it delivers the torque and horse power to the rear wheel. A simpler explanation may be to say I'm experimenting and would like all the data I can obtain before I shell out bucks or I'm doing homework for a science project. :) I like tweaking things. I would tweak a coffee grinder if I thought It would be of benefit to improve it and I were confident in doing so. I also like poking dead things with a stick. :) The aforementioned variables are only the tip of the iceberg mind you and any input regarding them and any other that may come to mind are appreciated. So I'll keep this short, although it's not, You asked.
I hope this answers your question. Would you have an answer for my question? And if you are aware of stiffer springs available and where to get them, I like that data too.

Aloha

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pretty sure the info you are looking for is in the archives of the old forum. If my terrible memory is correct, gold wing springs are the same size but stiffer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Dan. Thanks. Teacher gives me scoldings when my homework paper is blank. :)

Aloha

·
Registered
66 Posts
Would some one know if a CX500-Turbo clutch will fit a Non-Turbo CX500 or a CX650 Turbo fit a Non Turbo CX500.

Thanks

I have a turbo motor all apart, trying to figure out what transmission and clutch parts I can use in my non-turbo 500. The Turbo 500 clutch is physically larger, in diameter and length. The front cover is different, with a larger diameter and deeper clutch cover. I appears the turbo transmission will fit with a little "machining" of the inside of the case to clear the thicker gears, and then a GL500 clutch basket can be used, since the transmission is deeper. The splines on the output shaft are not as long, but they look to be long enough. I haven't actually bolted everything together, so I am not telling you any of this is actually doable. It looks like you could put a turbo clutch on a non-turbo, if you changed the front cover - the basket goes on the non-turbo shaft, but might need a spacer to make up the depth lost at the transmission.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Kureus. Getting somewhere now. Could you let me know what else you discover as you go? Tahnks again.

Aloha

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the info Kureus. Getting somewhere now. Could you let me know what else you discover as you go? Tahnks again.

Aloha
I think I am where the previous posters are also. I want to raise the overall gearing a little. I am going to use the turbo transmission with the GL500 clutch (and primary), so I get about 10% taller gearing. The 500 Turbo and GL650 transmissions are almost identical, but for the slightly shorter fifth on the Turbo. Everything has a taller primary than the non-turbo. To use the taller primary, you need to use the clutch from the other model. I have not seen the clutch on a 650 or 650 turbo. The 500 Turbo clutch is bigger and won't fit in your original front cover.

I have read about people swapping transmissions, but not clutches. Seems like you could if you used the front cover from the 650 or turbo.

The 650 Turbo has a shorter (3.4) final drive and a tall primary, otherwise everything else is 3.09 final.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts