Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm about to remove my Airbox and replace it with filters. I am aware I need to rejet my carbs but am confused with the anatomy of the jets. Specifically which jets do the 90 and 120 refer to?

Sorry I'm sure this would have been covered before!

Thanks in advance.

Lee - 1981 CX500 Standard

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
When you get the jets out of your carbs you will notice that the larger numbered jet {likely112 or 115} is fitted into a brass fitting, this is where your 120 will go.

The 90 will go straight into the alloy carb body where you will probably find a 78 jet already fitted.

Big in the brass. ;}

Show us a photo of the inside of your pods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CXPHREAK. Bike is going in tomorrow for its blue slip so I've left it all stock so far. As soon as I get stuck in I'll make a build thread.

Thanks again for the info.

Lee

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone send me a link to a good set of new 90/120 jets? Having trouble wading through the options and would like something tried and tested!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks again CXPHREAK! These only offer a #85 as the largest bore Jet for the smaller one? Also, do I need to fiddle with the pilot jet or the needle once the air pods are installed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really new to all this, duh...
So, on my "new" 81 cx500c, it runs a touch rough, as in the choke needs to be pulled to get reasonable acceleration..... Is this a good indication I need a rebuild, or is there more to diagnose? I was hoping a small dose of Seafoam would just clean it all out... But that didn't seem to make any difference!

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
Thanks again CXPHREAK! These only offer a #85 as the largest bore Jet for the smaller one? Also, do I need to fiddle with the pilot jet or the needle once the air pods are installed?
Ahh... I always order the second set too. When you do the option goes up to 88. 90 works, I and many others have used it. I.ve also used 85 and 88 with pods.

Your bike would probably be happy with 88/118 or 88/120.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nolimitz,
They are clean, clear and look in good shape.
I did also use carb cleaner liberally, before I got the airbox off, so there was some serious sludge in the bottom of that.
There are two drain tubes coming from the box, also filled with the same goo... Carb cleaner and oil breather gunk I'm thinking?!?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts