Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got the carbs all off and cleaned them. they were terrible inside and just really gunked up. well finally got them back on and first off had a real hard time with the cables and even after I got them on the throttle wouldn't return to its original position after turning it. so did I get them on right? i'm sure I didn't. 1 line has 2 nuts on it the other has 1 nut...which one goes where? then I don't know if this relates to having the lines on wrong but after starting it it pretty much shoots up to 9,000 rpms without choke even on and when I put choke on it goes even higher. I put everything back how it was suppose to be and know I did the carbs right. before I cleaned it it would barely start with full choke and would flood after about 2-3 mins of running. thanks for the advice/suggestions

79 cx500c.....going to put it in my name after this post

·
Registered
100 Posts
Line with two nuts is the rear one. These are to adjust slack in cable before throttle opens, should be a few mm movement at throttle grip before they operate. Throttle is adjusted on the stop screw between the carbs, usually has a ribbed plastic turny thing on it. Undo fully and screw up to start operating butterflies, maybe this is done up too far.

Carb should close firmly, with the spring before the cables are connected. Turn the throttle, the cables will extend or retract to show which opens throttle and which closes it. Can't remember which is easiest to put on first. Close the throttle to extend the rearward cable and put on rear link. Open throttle to extend forward cable and put on other link. It might be easier other way round.

Before doing this check throttle closes with a stiff spring, also that butterflies are set very similarly (best to set with vacuum gauges when running, if you get it to tick over at 1100, many suggestions say do this last, but they'll need to be close to get that to happen).

I find connecting the cables is easiest with tank and seat off before you place them fully into the boots (at least it is on the custom). Have carbs slightly out to the left of the bike. Ideally you need three hands or more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there's no play at all. I must have accidently did something because before there was. there is really nothing haha I have to pull as hard as I can to get it on and ever after I get both of them on the throttle does return to start position when turned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check your hand controls. the cable may have gotten hung up on the sheath before entering the control housing and is not fully seated. If that doesn't work open the control and verify that everything is seated correctly inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.