Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 1983 GL650I Silver Wing for about a year now and she's all reconditioned and running great.

Not sure why I haven't noticed this before, but the yellow rear light pods only illuminate when the turn signals are operating. I thought that these were also supposed to serve as rear running lights as well and be on all the time when the bike is on.

I'd appreciate it if some other GL650I or GL500I owners would let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
No markers in the rear. The dual filament signals are only on the front.
It's a federal standard, I believe, that there's no other amber at the rear to make the turn signals more evident.

Reactions: WingMan71

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
490 Posts
Federal vehicle lighting laws. Only Red is allowed for rear running/parking lights, but amber is allowed for rear turn signals. Amber or white for front parking lights, but front signals must be amber. No blue lights or lenses except law enforcement. All turn signals must be a minimum of 9" apart center-to-center. (The current popular mixed center brake lamp with 50/50 turn-signal function is not U.S. legal, but people use them anyway, especially the sport-bike squids) Left and Right Rear Red Turn signals are allowed, and can be brake lamps as well, as long as they have the 9" separation. Center-mount/High mount brake lamps are also allowed, same as a modern automobile. LEDs have been causing a lot of controversy, at least here in VA, especially when being used as car fog/driving lights, as they are required to be aimed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts