Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a new project bike - a 83 GL650. Electrical issues started with the taillight running light not working. Turns out one of the ignition switch contacts was missing it's spring so I replaced it with one from a clicker pen (cut short). The spring fixed the problem but now my headlight, running lights/ blinkers, and horn are not working. While trying to solve the new set of problems I accidently touched the contacts to the side of the ignition switch housing which blew out the 30A main fuse on the starter relay. I replaced the strip fuse with the spare. The bike starts up and runs fine. All the fuses on the handle bar clamp are ok and I have power at all of them. Is there any other fuses I'm missing? Do you think my new set of electrical problems are still caused by the ignition switch?

Thanks,

Roland

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you took apart the ignition switch, you may have reinstalled it off by 180 degrees. This might cause that type of problem. I usualy check contact continuity according to the wiring diagram before I put the plastic cover back on to make sure it is ok.

Also, I have found that you sometimes have to open up the plastic guides on the sliding contacts because they sometimes start grabbing on the guides when they have been overheated. I use a small drill to ream them to make sure they slide freely. If they stick in the plastic, they will not make contact and may also cause your problem.

If you took it apart, this should make sense!

·
Registered
639 Posts
There are no other fuses than the ones you already know of. I agree with John W -- I'd go right back to the ignition switch for trouble-shooting.

I've owned four of these bikes over the years, two CX500's and two GL500's, and two of them had headlight issues. In my case, one bike had corroded contacts in the headlight switch. The other bike had enough corrosion in the various electrical connectors in and near the headlight bucket that the headlight was intermittent. On that bike, both male and female parts looked good to the eye but still, didn't work until I files each and every contact plus I gently squeezed the female connectors so they'd hold the male connector tighter. No problems since.

About the main fuse that you blew, many of us have changed out that strip of fuse material for a standard automotive style plug in fuse. You can buy the little fuse holder at nearly any auto parts store for around $3.99. Simply splice it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts