Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone; relatively new owner here of an 83 CX650 Custom. I'm going through the Clymer manual and doing all my periodic maintenance and such but I came across something that has me scratching my head.

The manual mentions greasing the final drive joint and shows a grease zerk near the front of the drive case. I assume this grease goes into the rubber boot there and perhaps into the drive shaft/swingarm, but there is no grease zerk on my 83 that I can find. Is it missing, am I looking in the wrong place, or has it been eliminated on the later models?

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

-Mitch

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hey everyone; relatively new owner here of an 83 CX650 Custom. I'm going through the Clymer manual and doing all my periodic maintenance and such but I came across something that has me scratching my head.

The manual mentions greasing the final drive joint and shows a grease zerk near the front of the drive case. I assume this grease goes into the rubber boot there and perhaps into the drive shaft/swingarm, but there is no grease zerk on my 83 that I can find. Is it missing, am I looking in the wrong place, or has it been eliminated on the later models?

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

-Mitch
hi Mitch,

that is odd.might have to wait for one of the 650 boys to chip in.i dont have a lot of faith in the clymers manual.i prefer haynes,,,which i dont have to hand.

iv looked at the parts fishe on cmsl,and cant see the the grease nipple

i cant believe honda dropped it,but i dont know

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yah. The 83's eliminated the grease zerk that year on the 650's. There's not even a plug where they used to be. I guess honda must have decided it was uneeded.
thanks SBR,needed a 650 perspective

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,

The splined sliding joint on the 650`s (four-stud final drive type, anyway) is lubed from the gear oil in the case, so no need for any specific maintainence there.

There`s a drilling that supplies a small amount of oil to the joint, and an oil seal on the shaft to keep it from running into the swingarm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

The splined sliding joint on the 650`s (four-stud final drive type, anyway) is lubed from the gear oil in the case, so no need for any specific maintainence there.

There`s a drilling that supplies a small amount of oil to the joint, and an oil seal on the shaft to keep it from running into the swingarm.

Oh nice, that makes life slightly easier. (which is important when you just got a bike with an unknown service record and have to do EVERYTHING there is to do
)

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.