Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 82 Silverwing GL500, been going through it and noticed when I took the radiator cap and coolant reservoir lid off there is no coolant flowing through engine,, there is coolant in motor, radiator and reservoir but no flow.. Temp gauge goes to thick portion of bar on gauge but not by much and engine does not seem to be getting overheated.. Should I be able to see some current through the motor.. Thanks..

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I don't know where you're looking for flow, but you aren't going to find any at the reservoir. To see the coolant flow, you'll have to top off the radiator, look down the filler neck and you should see an indication of flow when the thermostat opens. Feeling the hoses or tubing as it warms up for a gradual increase, that will indicate flow. If it's not running hot, it's flowing.

When it's not flowing or blocked, it'll let you know very quickly by overheating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked in radiator and reservoir,, had caps off both.. Brought motor up to temp and watched coolant and it just sat there.. Did not overheat but it was just at idle for about 10 minutes..I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for all input..

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You probably never will see any fluid change at all in the coolant reservoir. It's for overflow, and return only when the system is less than ideal. In other words, the reservoir is a safety valve, not an active participant in the flow of coolant. Always fill coolant at the rad filler neck, unless the reservoir is empty.

Just idling for ten minutes might not get the coolant hot enough to open the thermostat,which is at the top of the engine block front. If your temp meter gets into the mid-range, and the chrome coolant pipe on the left side of the engine gets hot, you know the thermostat has opened. Running the engine until this happens with the rad cap off, and coolant above the rad fins, you should see visible coolant flowing. If not, your thermostat is faulty, and the chrome pipe might only be slightly warm.

You could also have a plugged radiator, so think about taking it off and cleaning it with vinegar, and rinse. Threads abound for this task, so use the Quick Reference and Search.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
32 Posts
This sounds exactly like my 82CX. I go through the same thing in 90+ weather. My needle goes into the fat part of the gauge but has not gone to overheat. Not only did I flush with viniger, I finally swapped the radiator off of another bike. Inspected the thermostat, water pump. Replaced the sending unit. The coolant pipe does get hot, but there just doesen't seem to be enough flow in the radiator. It's been like this for 2 seasons now and I simply avoid very hot weather.

Sorry , didn't mean to hyjack here, but I have exactly the same thing with my 82 and will be watching closely to see what the experts come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.