Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1982 gl500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New to motorcycles a d started building my gl500 a few months back. It ran ok when I got it. Installed a set of pod filters. No h box and has short straight through mufflers on it. That being said I re jetted it too. Think its 95 and 120 and it came with two shims. I'm having a hard time. I turned the idle screws to 2.5 turns out. And it ran super rich with the jet kit. Then I turned in the idle screws half turn out of a time. Still ran rich. Took out on then the other shim. Still ran rich all of this with no power. With that said. I ran it a couple more times and turned in the idle screws a little more still ran rich. So I decided to just go for a ride yesterday and as I'm riding every once in a while it would hit points where it had a lot of power would kinda backfire then bog back down. It did this over and over. Also started running hot. So I'm guessing its leaning out here and there. The reason I put the jet kit in was it ran really lean. So as it was doing this I turned in the idle screws 1/4 turn each time thinking it would level out. It didnt. It just ran more lean. I backed them out and it still ran the same. From my understanding the shims determine the air fuel ratio. On here somewhere they said the idle screws do that too. My carbs arent in sync and wont be u til I get a new screw because someone stripped it. But they arent that far off from sync. Anyway. Any pointers would be helpful. It almost seems like it's running rich until the float bowls empty. And it leans out. But I will say the bigger jets are still in. So I'm kinda lost. I'm good with cars not so much with bikes.

·
Super Moderator
22,554 Posts
Harken to this. 😁

I would unshim the needles. Shims make little difference and can cause the needle to wear the needle jet as the needle should be free to float.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts