Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I haven't posted here before but since I've just bought a GL500 I know I'll be spending a lot of time here. I picked up this 82' from an older gentlemen who just wanted it to go to a good home. It's been sitting for the last three or so years but other then that it's in great condition for it's age. Only 12k original miles. The carbs need to be cleaned, new tires, and a few other small things and this bike should be road ready.. minus the oil leak. I noticed what seemed like paste when I bought it and I knew it was a patch job to fix a leak. What are your thoughts on the paste? I honestly haven't seen anything like it before but I wanted some other opinions before I started down the ugly path of replacing the gasket. I got the bike for $400 so I might clean it up and sell it or just keep it and trailer it out west with me for the summer. :cool:

IMG_1650 - Copy.JPG IMG_1653 - Copy.JPG IMG_1654 - Copy.JPG IMG_1655 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Replacing the front gasket is not a big job.
You can do it with the engine in.
Remove fairing then radiator and then you can pull the clutch cover and the fan off.
Get the gaskets and seals for the tach drive, the clutch cover and the front cover.
All should be OEM or better as replacements.
The reason for the leaks where it is would be because the gasket has "sucked in" and is no longer sealing.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
The goop doesn't look like JB weld, which would have the same color as the engine. Although the PO may not have done a good enough job applying it, so it still leaked after. As said, the front cover leak is common, usually at the 10 o'clock position if looking head on toward the rear, just above the clutch cover. Not a tough job, as stated above.

I think it looks pretty decent, and worth the price for sure, not a bad deal at first blush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not to worried about the front cover leak so much as the other leak further back with what looks like the gasket between the engine and the transmission. The first leak photo shows it right in the corner and I'm afraid to replace that gasket because I'd have to drop the engine?

·
Registered
800 Posts
From the looks of the seal job on picture #2 look at the way the sealant is applied over the flat of the rear case not just along the gasket, to me it looks like PO was trying so cover a cracked rear case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts