Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just picked up an 82 gl500. Right at 7,800 miles. It sat since 1998. Couldn't beat the price of $100. Not sure what I want to do with it yet, get it running first. The only problem...no key. Previous owner lost the key. Any quick advice?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Take out the ignition key ,two bolts from underneath and get a locksmith to cut a key to fit it. Do have to take fairing off or headlight to get at said bolts. Welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take out the ignition key ,two bolts from underneath and get a locksmith to cut a key to fit it. Do have to take fairing off or headlight to get at said bolts. Welcome
Thanks. No, the fairing is still on. I am planning on taking it off anyways.

·
Super Moderator
14,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

The locks all have a number stamped into them that a locksmith should be able to cut a key based on but I don't think you can see the number on any of them without getting at the back and I can't think of a way to get at any of them without unlocking the lock except for the keyswitch.
Fortunately, removing the fairing isn't terribly hard (unless there are a lot of non-standard connections like mine has evolved to over the years). Basically, you unplug the electrical connector plus one other wire (green on the '82 IIRC) and undo a few nuts (it is covered in the FSM).
Depending on how skinny your hands are you might need to remove the tank to get at the connector and you will need to remove the front seat to get at the bolt for the tank and you may need to pop the side covers off to get at the bolts for the seat but removing the side covers, seat & tank to assess the condition of everything under them is probably a good idea anyway (I'd have a look at the air filter too, if only to make sure nothing has been living in it).

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Welcome aboard! My '82 GL500 had 7,800 on the odometer when I got it 2 years ago!
I just took out my ignition to repair it. I had to take off the windshield and headlamp. The bolts are 10mm. Finding that on the tutorial helped me not fumble with sockets trying to find the right one. An extension on the ratchet helps you get in there. Be careful with the three prongs. Mine was soldered in so the black cap and white disc had to come out to release the keyed ignition switch. If you have to take the black cap off, Push in at the rectangular holes to release the prongs. A P.O. broke one of the prongs so they had to glue the cap on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Since it has been out of service for so long, you will be removing the fairing anyway, remove the ignition cylinder as described. On the side of the cylinder is a stamped number. You can order a new key using that number from several sources on E-bay. yes it will take several days. You can use that time to check fluids and flush as needed. Also shop for some new tires since they are well past their service age. Relax and enjoy the experience.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
You might want to clean and lube it while it is out. The photos in the link below will show you what everything looks like.

Get some tuner cleaner (I got electrical cleaner at the parts store) dielectric grease and some graphite or teflon dry lube for the lock mechanism. Here is a wiki link to see what it looks like. (see last two photos for the GL)
I did not have connectors to the round white switch. The wiring was soldered on.
Cleaning the Ignition Switch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts