Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little late to start a build thread a month or 2 into my build. But lets get upto speed. The bike came home Dec 2nd 2017.

It's an 82 GL500 with seemingly low miles (19k~20k) I say this lightly as I found the speedometer cable attachment nut on the cable itself was broken and the cable was glued and taped in. :(

IMG_6566.jpg IMG_6567.jpg IMG_6568.jpg IMG_6569.jpg IMG_6571.jpg

That's how she looked when I got her. Now I Wanted to get a CX500 but couldn't find one local on the cheap that was still running. Not that I don't think I could get a bike running I haven't worked on a bike or car in 15 years and It wasn't worth the risk. I settled for the GL and am very happy so far. I'm actually liking the setup of the monoshock and slight increase in rake as well as the upgraded ignition. We will see how this goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
began the tear down

Removing the stuff I don't want. Although it's a nice bike as it is... there's a few changes I'd like to make to make this bike unique to me.

IMG_6574.jpg IMG_6613.jpg

After that I began cutting some of the rear frame

IMG_6615.jpg IMG_6624.jpg

The bike was running when I bought it... barely as there was definitely some carb work needed as it would not accelerate only bog down when given more gas. Telling me it was running lean and needed more air. My plan was to rebuild the carbs and possibly jet them so I could run pods and a modified exhaust.

So I removed the airbox and battery box and electricals from that section as well as the carbs. For the airbox I decided I would attempt to save the intake rubber that mounts to the carbs from the air box. After some fighting I decided it would be best to use a dremel and melt the plastic box to get this part out.

IMG_6593.jpg

I may have use for this yet...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
further dismantling and plans coming together

After looking over the changes I've made so far I spent time over the holidays exploring ideas and buying parts. I decided to change the front forks. This decision came from exploring the cost to convert the existing forks from air assisted to (not? what's the alternative) with some stiffer springs and custom valving and ... and... I decided to look for different forks and Liked the look others were getting from doing a fork swap. I found a somewhat local GSX-R1000 complete front end from an 05 Suzuki that didn't have a scratch and came complete with front brakes, rim and tire. So I ordered a bearing kit for the swap from all balls.

IMG_6654.jpg IMG_6655.jpg IMG_6656.jpg IMG_6657.jpg

And here's a shot with the new forks installed. :D

IMG_6667 2.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next was the rear shock replacement

So I needed to replace the rear mono air shock and after some hunting I decided on a Kawasaki YZF Mono shock. I found one that was adjustable and at a good price on eBay.

IMG_6668.JPG

As you can see it's very similar to the size of the original. However it will take some finesse to make it fit.

IMG_6669.JPG IMG_6664.jpg

I had to grind out a section of the top mount to allow clearance for the reservoir.

IMG_6663.jpg

The overall look of the bike now is awesome however the rear ride height is not where it needs to be. I still need to raise up the rear end for both tire clearance proper ride height.

IMG_6708.jpg

I plan on extending the lower mount up about an inch from where it sits now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear seat hoop and frame mod

I liked the built in LED's on the rear hoop and after measuring and looking around found the best prices were ordering from China. Here's what I ended up with... mind you i measured my frame and place the proper order.

IMG_6705.jpg IMG_6706.jpg

Now this is a setback... :eek:

OK so since the current cut of the frame and length of the rear hoop are longer than needed. (I want the end of the rear hoop to match with the the rear axle.) I have some room to play with. I decided to remove the rear frame cross brace. I'll be replacing it with an electronics pan eventually anyway. I also decided to cut the rear seat supports out and I'll be replacing them with new ones that will be welded to the rear upper shock mount cross tube.

IMG_6733.jpg IMG_6735.jpg IMG_6736.jpg

My thoughts on fitment will be to stretch open the rear frame and insert 3/4" tube into the rear frame and the seat loop and drill holes and weld them together. With the rear cross brace out of the way the frame now has that flexibility.

IMG_0576.JPG

I left the lower portion of the seat supports because I want to do something similar to this.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 11.06.32 AM.png

·
Registered
253 Posts
I found a somewhat local GSX-R1000 complete front end from an 05 Yamaha that didn't have a scratch and came complete with front brakes, rim and tire. ]
Confused by this... Suzuki GSXR1000 or Yamaha R1? Or did someone put the GSXR front end on the Yammy? How is the stem and steering stop situation?

Looks great, though. I found a guy who will build a custom hoop with the integral LED taillight. Yep, its more $$ , but hopefully I can get it to fit right, right off the bat.

Keep up the awesome work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confused by this... Suzuki GSXR1000 or Yamaha R1? Or did someone put the GSXR front end on the Yammy? How is the stem and steering stop situation?

Looks great, though. I found a guy who will build a custom hoop with the integral LED taillight. Yep, its more $$ , but hopefully I can get it to fit right, right off the bat.

Keep up the awesome work!
Whoops... Sorry Yeah between all the part i get confused it is a Suzuki GSX-R1000 front end. The rear shock is a Yamaha R1. Editing the post now..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the stem and steering stop situation?
Well my neck had a broken steering stop so I'll have to weld in a new one that will work with the lower triples.
6C205C.jpg

The bars also hit the tank before a proper turning radius. So i'll be moving back the tank a bit to allow more turn and changing these bars for some adjustable ones so they won't be so close.
1350.jpg

I found a guy who will build a custom hoop with the integral LED taillight. Yep, it's more $$ , but hopefully I can get it to fit right, right off the bat.
Yeah that's what i didn't want to have to do. They can get expensive quick.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
You are doing exceptionally well. Savour every moment. Enjoy the hole project step by step and celebrate the end result. Don't haste and waste... keep and sell off the parts you throw out, there surely will be some fellow Honda V twin enthusiasts in need of original spares.

Reactions: pboutin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Slipstream cycle works CX500 rearsets on GL500

I got high hopes on these awesome looking rearsets by Jarred from Slipstream Cycle works. https://slipstreamcycle.com/products/cx500 Since the CX500 and GL are so close I figured theses would be a direct fit. Once I tried to install them i soon realized there was more to it than that. I emailed Jarred and he said he would rework the pieces for me. So hopefully others with GL's who want to use these rear sets will have an option from them real soon. :)

Here's my findings.

Some additional photos of the measurements as the ones in the video are a bit off. ( One hand measurements while filming :( )

IMG_6714.jpg IMG_6715.jpg IMG_6717.jpg IMG_6722.jpg IMG_6723.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Carburetors, rebuild kits, jet kits and intake

I really want a set of Murry's however before dropping that kind of $$ (I know... I know, best upgrade to get) I wanted to try my hand at rebuilding and rejetting my keihin's first. This would allow me the experience and confidence in doing it myself so i won't be afraid to make adjustments in the future.

I bought the Randack master carb rebuild kit and Larry's rebuild guide and the 6Sigma jet kit "Stage 3" I also bought a ultrasonic cleaner to clean all the parts as Larry recommends. With all of that I am about half way there on cost to get the perbuilt and modified Mikuni's from Murray :(

First off if you plan to go this route you must read Larry's book front to back before you begin. There are some things that he explains in hindsight. Not all the pictures are clear as to which jet is which from the pictures. I had to reference the Hane's manual carb blow out diagram that Larry doesn't include. other than that the book is a must have. I'll be referencing it from time to time. As for the Jet kit from 6 Sigma... ehh the kit does include 2 different jets to choose from based on how lean the bike runs with the first set. but the part i dont get is it includes drill bits, one for removing adjustment screw cover (not on the keihin's) and second for drilling an extra hole in the plunger for quicker throttle response. Are you joking with me? the drill bit is like .01" and the plungers already have 3 holes that are 100X's larger than the drill bit they included.

Here is what the plunger looks like. See the 3 original holes? hows a super small drill bit going to improve this?
IMG_6659.jpg

OK so what am I supposed to do with that? The other modification from 6 Sigma they say you can do is cut the plunger spring to reduce the force on the plunger. OK again are you kidding me? the plunger springs are so thin and weak I doubt cutting them will be an improvement. Who knows because I didn't bother with either of these recommendations. Also the kit pictures don't match what's actually in the carbs. I think the pictures in the kit are more of a generalization of all carbs.

IMG_6738.jpg

OK so I rebuilt the carbs and put them back together and bench matched them according to Larry's guide. I put them back on the bike. Remember this intake from the OEM airbox?

IMG_6593.jpg

Well I decided to put it back on to see how it would look. I originally thought I would find a single pod filter for it but after this trial I dont think theres room. However I kind of like the look of it as it is... Maybe I can find a filter screen I can put over the top of it to catch any debris or mud from getting sucked in.

IMG_6737.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would just get it going for now before making any mods to the carb setup. Get it running and verify everything is behaving. Then I'd try Murrays jet suggestions and then go down the 6 Sigma rabbit hole.

This may interest you : http://cx500forum.com/forum/custom-how/18868-jet-needle-shims.html

I'm going to sidetrack you back to that rear hoop dilemma. I have been wondering if its easier/better to find the seat first, then do the hoop? or vice versa... or is it a "chicken and the egg" thing?

Either way. I am digging the build as you are mirroring what I am planning on. :th_AnimatedBravoSmi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I'll check that out!

I'm going to sidetrack you back to that rear hoop dilemma. I have been wondering if it's easier/better to find the seat first, then do the hoop? or vice versa... or is it a "chicken and the egg" thing?

Either way. I am digging the build as you are mirroring what I am planning on. :th_AnimatedBravoSmi
Cool... thanks.

So My thought is this on the seat. It's not a dilemma, when bike builders build their vision they don't limit themselves on resources. (In most cases) They build to their vision as best they can and in order to complete the vision sometimes they need to build what they can't find or modify. That's what I plan to do. I'll make a seat pan, make it fit my frame then foam it and have it covered by a leather upholstery pro i can find in my area. This way im guaranteed to to have a perfect fit and no compromises on my vision of how the bike should look.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks I'll check that out!

Cool... thanks.

So My thought is this on the seat. It's not a dilemma, when bike builders build their vision they don't limit themselves on resources. (In most cases) They build to their vision as best they can and in order to complete the vision sometimes they need to build what they can't find or modify. That's what I plan to do. I'll make a seat pan, make it fit my frame then foam it and have it covered by a leather upholstery pro i can find in my area. This way im guaranteed to to have a perfect fit and no compromises on my vision of how the bike should look.
Cool. I've been considering that as well. It just seems like there are a plethora of prebuilt cafe seats out there.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear seat hoop and electrical pan

I measured and cut the new rear hoop as well as straitened out the cuts I did on the frame.
IMG_6989.JPG

I stretched the frame with a scrap 2x4 cut to the correct size and hammered into place.
IMG_6990.JPG

I used a dowel for temporary fitment to hold things in place until i get it all welded up
IMG_6991.JPG

The electrics pan was cut from an old grill front panel I saved
IMG_7002.JPG
IMG_7003.JPG

The grill logo looks kind of cool in there like that
IMG_7069.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rear shock ride height adjustment

I didn't like the ride hight as it was with the new rear Yamaha R1 rear shock replacement. The seat to tire clearance was too close and I wanted a more aggressive stance.
149690-82-gl500-build-img_6663.jpg

I choose the simplest means to increase the height. I only needed an inch or so. I opted to adjust the bottom bracket. There are 4 welds holding the lower shock mount to the bracket. I cut the bottom and side welds off with a grinder and bent the mount up off the bracket angling up the mount to the correct position. This gave me the inch or so I needed.
IMG_7006.JPG
I still need to weld in some reinforcement there to properly support the mount.
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG

The ride height is now correct and the overall stance and look of the bike is what I was going for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rear sets

So a while back I bought a set of CX500 rearsets from Slipstream Cycle. They didn't fit the bottom tube or the bolt pattern of the GL frame. @J-Rod10 (Jarred) agreed to modify a set for me for free If I got him the specs and a template. So maybe he will offer them now for the GL's on his site. Here they are installed on my GL500. They look sweet!

IMG_7064.JPG
IMG_7065.JPG
IMG_7066.JPG

I also got the return spring from @dbjac (Derek) in Australia The internal return spring in the break drum is not strong enough on its own to return the pedal with the cable return. I had to adjust the the rear brake arm back a bit to make room for the spring to compress. The breaks now work and have a nice feel to them.
IMG_7067.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
new updates

Its been a while since i posted any updates. I haven't made a hole lot of progress but I continue to work on the bike moments at a time when I can sneak it in.

Built a rear brake switch onto the new rearsets.

Removed the Swing arm to replace the bearings and get better access to the bottom of the frame

Once that was off I was able to get access with a grinder to remove the extra tube the center stand and clean up any weld blobs and extra tabs
frame-tube-removal.JPG tube-removal.JPG tube-removal2.JPG frame-grinder.JPG frame-detab.JPG

From there just some motor cleaning in prepping for paint. Oh I also decided to replace the stock fan with an electric fan. I have it all fitted to the stock fan shroud and just need some welding or rivets to finish it up.
IMG_7945.JPG IMG_7944.JPG

I grinded the casting seam off of the lower triple tree and painted it.
IMG_7947.JPG

been experimenting with electrolysis for rust removal and plating

Ran into some issues while removing some coolant components, like breaking off the bolt for the water pump in the rear case
55157025209__707EAC22-2C64-4C22-9435-962F1E2D13FE.JPG

Heres the old coolant thermostat (need to figure out what i can replace this with, apparently they don't make the stock ones anymore.)
55157039352__1A77D953-C94E-46E6-9A8B-704D5AC0CF75.JPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts