Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
135 Posts
I just happen to have the elusive factory headlight bracket you seek, I am in North Mpls. You can unplug the faring harness and the wires are ready to plug and play. You can PM me.

the
Why is there so much CX/GL activity in Minneapolis? There must be some history there...

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
FWIW: To convert from an Interstate to a naked bike you might need quite a few parts, the horns and headlight plus turn signals are all different...

I found this to be a great help/starting point:

Cheers, Adrian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Location, location, location. Where does this Silverwing reside? I'm in Grafton, NH, 03240 and am interested.

Oooff, a lot of these threads lately.

Hello all! I've (maybe) made the decision to sell the Silverwing. 28K miiles, runs great, currently laid up waiting for a set of Kenda K673 tires to be mounted. 2 windshields, stock mirrors and handlebar mirrors, chrome and stock fairing trim. Currently has a radio on the dash (thanks again Randall).

It's a fantastic bike and community, on the fence about getting something else. Feel free to talk me out of it too.

$1000 usd / best offer. Trade? I'm not opposed to some kind of trade either, CX/GL/whatever.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Location, location, location. Where does this Silverwing reside? I'm in Grafton, NH, 03240 and am interested.
If you hover over the flag, it'll show location.

I think I'm going to keep the GL for now. Strip the fairing, keep it somewhat original and not hacked up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Today I ordered new bars and grips to go with the naked theme. Also some heated grips for the Goldwing.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
Joe, I might have the metal trim for your radiator. I'll need to dig in some boxes to be sure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Joe, I might have the metal trim for your radiator. I'll need to dig in some boxes to be sure.
Don't worry about it, Steve hooked me up Wednesday night when we met for the headlight bracket. Thanks for thinking about me.

I think I have everything I need now. Still on the fence about a little cafe fairing or finding a small windshield.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
This is great information - I never knew that about the flag on this forum!! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What does everyone use for headlight on the Interstate to naked conversion?

I thought I had everything, but then I remembered the headlight.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
The headlight unit from your GL500 fairing will fit the headlamp bucket from the GL500.

Reactions: TheValk

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oooff, a lot of these threads lately.

Hello all! I've (maybe) made the decision to sell the Silverwing. 28K miiles, runs great, currently laid up waiting for a set of Kenda K673 tires to be mounted. 2 windshields, stock mirrors and handlebar mirrors, chrome and stock fairing trim. Currently has a radio on the dash (thanks again Randall).

It's a fantastic bike and community, on the fence about getting something else. Feel free to talk me out of it too.

$1000 usd / best offer. Trade? I'm not opposed to some kind of trade either, CX/GL/whatever.
Two days ago I said that I am interested (in buying this). I'll take a bus to New Ulm.
John Redman
Grafton, NH

·
Registered
35 Posts

I think I'm going to keep the GL for now. Strip the fairing, keep it somewhat original and not hacked up.
Good decision. But IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, there is a very nice bus terminal in White River Junction, Vt only 30 miles from me.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,276 Posts
I'd be fine with non-OEM parts as long as they work. Removing that fairing would make it a bit snappier too.

Don't suppose anyone with any naked GL parts they want to get rid of is following this thread?
DId you take the fairing off?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
DId you take the fairing off?
Yes I did. It's fairly messy at this point, need shorter cables, wire the blinkers, and the radiator shroud.

The bars are a little low, still deciding if I want to keep them or find some 2-3 inches or so higher.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I guess you know that those are not stock GL500 bars? I would have thought that the position of the bars would not change with removal of the fairing and was not aware that cables were different between Interstate and naked GL500s.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
A review of partzilla shows the the two throttle cables and the clutch cable are the same for GL500 and GL500I. Why would you need shorter cables?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess you know that those are not stock GL500 bars? I would have thought that the position of the bars would not change with removal of the fairing and was not aware that cables were different between Interstate and naked GL500s.
I was looking for some straighter bars once the fairing was gone. The buckhorns work for a faired bike, but aren't my thing for naked. These were very cheap, so worth the price to try out.

My goal is to change things a bit, but still be able to return to stock in an afternoon.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,276 Posts
Yes I did. It's fairly messy at this point, need shorter cables, wire the blinkers, and the radiator shroud.

The bars are a little low, still deciding if I want to keep them or find some 2-3 inches or so higher.
Ahhh. Good!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts