Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oooff, a lot of these threads lately.

Hello all! I've (maybe) made the decision to sell the Silverwing. 28K miiles, runs great, currently laid up waiting for a set of Kenda K673 tires to be mounted. 2 windshields, stock mirrors and handlebar mirrors, chrome and stock fairing trim. Currently has a radio on the dash (thanks again Randall).

It's a fantastic bike and community, on the fence about getting something else. Feel free to talk me out of it too.

$1000 usd / best offer. Trade? I'm not opposed to some kind of trade either, CX/GL/whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
Remember, you don't need to be a stranger if you give up the Twisted Twin. We even let Wayne ride with us (but that might be so we can see his pretty orange BMW :love: ).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember, you don't need to be a stranger if you give up the Twisted Twin. We even let Wayne ride with us (but that might be so we can see his pretty orange BMW :love: ).
I know, and that's what's great about it here. I wouldn't mind a CX, preferably a deluxe or standard, but a custom would work too. The GL is really filling a gap that I already have filled with the Goldwing. I don't need two touring bikes, but it is nice to have the option.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
135 Posts
A CX with a mono shock and 2 disc brakes on the front forks... It sounds so European... (or at least no longer like a US CX model...)

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
Years ago, I saw a craigslist ad for a GL500 that a guy had (badly) modified and called it a Eurosport. Don't do that. 😱🤮

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
saves the "mono-shock conversion" step often seen for "urban rides"..a lil heavy compared to modern machinery but can be sprinted through urban streets twisty roads.
Maybe a monoshock CX with a bikini/tasteful fairing...the 2 discs upfront a bonus...and tubeless tires for those things picked up round towns is a bonus...

**edit...no dont try to make it a eurosport...but take some of the positives for a urban machine/Sunday sprint bike....if you so inclined (me is)

·
Registered
249 Posts
You'll be back ... a naked CX/GL for city/backroad riding makes a great compliment for a loaded GoldWing touring/highway bike.

I swap horses out of the stable frequently (OK, obsessively) and am currently on my 4th GoldWing 1100 and 3rd&4th CX/GL's. Personally, I don't feel much ride difference between the twin shock CX and monoshock GL. The various seating positions of the models make more of a difference than rear shock style.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A CX is really where I'd like to be. I've looked around for something newer like the CB 500 family. They're not all that common used around here. A full on sport bike isn't off the table, but again finding a used one that isn't clapped out is an issue.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,852 Posts
Sounds like you want a Cx650 eurosport . Pm Jetro

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Doesn't everyone want a CX650 Eurosport? I know I do!
Sadly, it requires the right combination of money, space, and spousal approval. Those planets haven't aligned yet, so it's on my "someday" list.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doesn't everyone want a CX650 Eurosport? I know I do!
Sadly, it requires the right combination of money, space, and spousal approval. Those planets haven't aligned yet, so it's on my "someday" list.
I have all three of those met, the issue is the border and distance.

I'd be plenty happy with a naked GL. Maybe I need to do that to mine instead of buying something different. I'd need a headlight and blinkers, some time to figure out how to stuff all the wiring, and some fairing removal tips.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I'd need a headlight and blinkers, some time to figure out how to stuff all the wiring, and some fairing removal tips.
The FSM and the non-Interstate Parts Manual should guide you through it.
A nice aspect of converting the GL is that you can still mount the luggage when you want it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The FSM and the non-Interstate Parts Manual should guide you through it.
A nice aspect of converting the GL is that you can still mount the luggage when you want it.
I'd be fine with non-OEM parts as long as they work. Removing that fairing would make it a bit snappier too.

Don't suppose anyone with any naked GL parts they want to get rid of is following this thread?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just happen to have the elusive factory headlight bracket you seek, I am in North Mpls. You can unplug the faring harness and the wires are ready to plug and play. You can PM me.

the

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd be fine with non-OEM parts as long as they work. Removing that fairing would make it a bit snappier too.

Don't suppose anyone with any naked GL parts they want to get rid of is following this thread?
If you're looking for ideas, below is a pick of the non-OEM mounted headlight&signals on my converted Interstate. The signals and brackets are pretty easy to find on ebay or amazon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts