Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellers, does anybody know the thickness of the washer shown in this diagram as part # 16? Or has one they can measure? The fische just shows an ID of 25 mm.

TIA

clutch.JPG

Weirdly the part number shown in the fische - WASHER, THRUST (25MM)
90453-MA1-000

comes up on google as the drive shaft boot.

Having pulled the clutch out the washer I have installed behind the clutch is 4 mm thick. My discrepency is 4.85 mm. I also have two identically sized washers that measure 2.3 mm so I'm thinking the washer required will be the 4 mm one. Rear of clutch housing appears to be properly aligned with the primary drive so I'm thinking I need another 4 mm washer?

I may have to make one.

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have this figured - but verification would be good.

Early clutches use 1 x 2.3 mm washer behind, the later spring damped clutches use 1 x 4 mm washer behind and one in front. .... I think.

I still haven't confirmed this as correct as I then found the clutch doesn't have room to release. It seems that the pack of used plates is 2 plates too thick with the correct number {13} of plates.Before fitting the springs there is no clutch movement. Substituting a known working clutch centre gives this movement and comparison of the two shows the pack thickness anomalie. Can friction plates swell?

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I have this figured, 4 mm washer behind the basket and in front is correct. If 4mm behind gives the correct alignment of clutch and primary drive and the part number for both is the same 4 mm in front is also correct.

As to the plate stack height I have that figured too.

This clutch is put together with used plates and 5 of the plates appear to be ringers. I don't know what they're from but they don't appear to be CX friction plates - although they fit the basket.

They are plate As but measure the same thickness as the B plate. As the B plate has wider tangs they can't be Bs either. See scribbled note.

Anyway, this gave a stack height 4 mm too thick which didn't allow movement for the clutch to release.

Appropriate plates were test fitted and the front buttoned up for test purposes. Working as it should.

Have pulled it apart again to soak the plates in oil overnight and will reassemble tomorrow night.

Clutch reinstalled into the Ralph cycle as I'd had it out for comparison to find out what was going on. :)

ericlutchraesan 002.JPG ericlutchraesan 001.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts