Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
New wires are probably a good idea, if only because micro cracks develop over time in even the best insulation and can result in the spark pulses being short circuited on a rainy day (I recall limping home on my '77 GL1000 with only 1 cylinder firing one rainy day in the early '90s so imagine how bad your wires could be at twice that age).

You need 7mm copper core wire (commonly available at small engine repair shops). I can't remember the length off hand but measuring the old wires is pretty easy.
The coils are attached to the coils by compression fittings so you will need to transfer the ferrule/collar/olive from the old wire to the new one so that the nut will compress it properly to seal water out.
The spark plug caps have "fixing screws" (they look like the pointed end of a wood screw) inside the end that attaches to the wires and they just screw into the ends of the wires to make contact with the conductor. The original spark plug caps have a bunch of parts inside including a 5,000 ohm resistor. If you measure the resistance between the screw and the connector (brass part that clips onto the spark plug) the resistance should be very close to that 5,000 ohms. If the resistance is higher than that by more than a couple of ohms you can disassemble the cap by unscrewing the connector and clean all of the parts plus the connection at the bottom of the hole with Scotchbrite and contact cleaner.
Note: Use real contact cleaner, not brake or carb cleaner (could harm the plastic) or WD40 (leaves a sticky residue).
Font Line Trigger Rectangle Parallel

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
Oh yeah, checking the coils with an ohmmeter is a good idea too. I can't remember the values off hand but IIRC it is in the FSM (make sure you look in the 1982 addendum).

In case you didn't know, all CX500 models until 1981 came with Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) but the GL500, '82 CX500C and CX500E and all CX/GL650 came with Transistor amplifier Ignition (TI or TAI). The CDI is powered by special windings on the alternator stator so it runs on a higher voltage than the TI, which is powered by the 12V charging system so the CDI and TI use different coils and the resistance values in the main part of the book are for the CDI ones.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,457 Posts
Is that 5,000 ohms, or 5,000 milli-ohms?

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,457 Posts
Yeah, I think I thought it was a 5 ohm resistor.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts