Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. I cant get the clutch to engage . I thought I had installed the clutch cover wrong, so I took it off and the spring was all messed up. Ordered a new spring, washer, and gasket and reinstalled.

Still nothing. Did I put the spring in wrong? How much tension is the arm supposed to have?
The other problem is now I can put it into 1st and nothing happens. Bike doesn’t stall nor does the rear spin. It’s like it’s in neutral, but it’s not.

any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Is the driveshaft connected? Was the securing bolt installed?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driveshaft is connected. I did have the rear cover off when I did the triple bypass.

·
Super Moderator
20,351 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think so, but i can take it apart. One thing, when i first put the engine back together and got it started, I dropped it into 1st, without the clutch (didn't have the clutch cable) and did get the rear to spin. Problem is that i can't do that anymore, nor get the clutch engaged.

When you put the clutch over one, is there supposed to be a lot of tension from the sping, or should the clutch pushing on the "mushroom" provide the tension?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will open the front engine cover and the clutch cover and take a look to see if something is missing.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Im betting it is the spring on the arm incorrectly installed. With the cover off there should be tension as you rotate the lever and spring back to "resting" with it on and the mushroom button in place you should have even more tension/resistance to movement. can you shift to other gears manually by rotating the drive shaft back and forth?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any info about the spring install. I've looked around. I just bought a new one and installed it. I have the hook hold while the arm is at around 8'oclock position.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I figured out the problem... can anyone guess :). See something missing?

Have no idea where thwe Clutch thrust bearing went. Anyone know where i might be able to find one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts