Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you Honda die hards!

Just joined the gl owner's club a few days ago...as if I needed another project. Couldn't pass up a 30 year old bike with 23,000 miles on it. (pics to follow in a couple of days).

I have checked and serviced most of the obvious stuff but I read somewhere about cdi issues that happen below 5000 rpm.... Bike starts and idles well but no power under load until 5k, then runs like a bat out of ....! Well maintained before me, according to the owners manual. Anything obvious to you guys? Any comments or direction will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Put the bike's model in your profile signature line and add your location. If you have the GL series, you don't have a CDI to worry about. It is probably the carbs that need a deep cleaning. There are many posts on how to do this, just read back a few pages. Or order Larry's (LRCXed) carb book.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Howd and welcome. Yeah, this Site could just as easily be called the Carb Forum for all the knowledge and experience on tap here. As a quick and dirty (err...clean) you could run a can of Seafoam thru your tank and cross your fingers. Without a doubt, Larrys Carb book and a dissamlbly is the rule and the only true path to happiness. But for $7, you could try and experiment. You have a good test subject and nothing to lose. Your results, positive or negative, would make for an interesting factoid.

As I speak, my carbs are apart for a deep cleaning. I was surprised how much junk I had in float bowls, despite multiple drainings, clean filter and clean jets. So, I am no expert (repeat), but it would interesting if a float bowl cleaning or Seafoam could get you out of the woods without risk/commitment to the inerds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Nil,

Just when I was thinking a re-build of the carb was imminent, there is hope still..... I will try running the seafoam too. After reading the forums for the last few days , I have to agree that the carbs on these bikes seem to be the biggest,(and I hope the only)big problem, (though my suspension is suspect) I ordered float bowl gaskets,(be here monday; I will then be able to see what's in there without the fear of broken gaskets. I will update when I complete the first phase......

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It certainly won't hurt anything to replace the gaskets, but they are a rubber O ring type and usually are reusable. So, don't wait until Monday, get those carbs off and cleaned today and ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you balanced the carbs yet?

Thanks Odie,

Haven't done it yet. Workin' on a full maintenance as well with the shop manual. Lot's to do but......this seems a little like working on my first car,(63 bug. A labor of love with an expertly engineered vehicle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Odie,

Haven't done it yet. Workin' on a full maintenance as well with the shop manual. Lot's to do but......this seems a little like working on my first car,(63 bug. A labor of love with an expertly engineered vehicle.

In that case you will understand that like the beetle the CX is a much loved vehicle, you will also find that they can take a lot of abuse and still keep running.

One thing is certain, you will have fun.

I suggest you dive in and get dirty.

All the best

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the latest... I was starting to pull the gas tank when I noticed a loose screw on the carb clamp... 3 turns loose! Both sides leaking air baaaaaaad! Tightened down clamps and wow, big improvement. Now I think I will check for air box leaks, then proceed with carb tear down but I got 1/2 my power back below 5k just by tightening clamps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.