Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post and also very happy to be part of the forum.

My father and I have recently put a new speedometer cable on my 81 gl500, because the last one broke. After putting the new one on it, it now makes a whining noise and flutters plus and minus 5 mph the actually speed the bike is going. The needle just keeps "boucing". I am confused and don't know what to do. Any help? I can say that it started making this noise right before the speedo broke the first time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Take the thing off and put ONLY one drop of 3-1 oil on the place where the turning part meets the body. Worst case is the speedo is bad, best case is that fixes it. They can be disassembled and rebuilt but it's a fine art.

PS: Did you buy an aftermarket cable or a real one from Honda? Most aftermarket ones aren't lubed and a lot of the NOS Honda stuff has the grease dried up a little but it's no big deal to clean out and relube a cable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same issue and after going through 2 cables I opened the gauge up and cleaned and lubed everything. Is nice and steady now. If you go slow and pry back the trim ring slowly you won't even know you were in there once put back together. I would do what Marshall recommended first though. Open the speedo only as a last resort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take the thing off and put ONLY one drop of 3-1 oil on the place where the turning part meets the body. Worst case is the speedo is bad, best case is that fixes it. They can be disassembled and rebuilt but it's a fine art.

PS: Did you buy an aftermarket cable or a real one from Honda? Most aftermarket ones aren't lubed and a lot of the NOS Honda stuff has the grease dried up a little but it's no big deal to clean out and relube a cable.

It is a after market cable and applied some lube and it was steady for a while. I think I'm going to try it again and hopefully it will work. If not I plan on cleaning the whole gauge.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
marshallf3 has it right.

My 1980 KZ250 (I know it is a tiny bike but I love it) had a similar problem.

I put two new cables on it and even bought a speedo off ebay that did the same thing.

Then I asked for help and a speedo shop as well as a nice person off the KZ forum suggested a drop or two of very light oil on the input shaft.

I used machine oil (I used 3 drops) and it has been great since.

The used one off ebay also was solved that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.