Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I looking at a 81 Silverwing.

He's asking $750.00, but is willing to take $625.00.

77,000 miles.

A little oil leak from the neutral safety switch.

Front and rear brakes squeal.

A little antifreeze from the mechanical seal.

All the pieces are correct for the bike.

Goes down the road well.

Good price??????

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sounds decent to me, those listed problems are fairly easy fixes. I'd definitely want to hear it run first just so you can rule out any cam chain issues.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The price might be good, but remember: redoing the seals is going to cost upward of 100-300 dollars, plus around 40 man hours the first time you do it. With 77,000 miles being near the high end, I would check how the bike has been taken care of. See if you can look at the cylinder head, so you can look at the valves, top of the head, and the exhaust chamber. That can tell you a lot about how well the bike has been taken care of. I would say add double to triple the price for all the repairs to get it back up to snuf.

This bike will prob. need:

New brakes

New oil filter

New oil, coolant, and regreasing (if you have already you won't need to buy, but can cost upwards 40 bucks)

clean the carbs (o rings/gaskets are 60-90 for a complete set)

new cam chain (unless it was already done)

and if you need to do the cam chain you might as well replace all the gaskets/o rings and seals

Not that these bikes aren't easy as hell to work on, but they aren't free to fix up either.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ken: Also consider doing this test.

Take your volt meter. Put the bike on the centre stand, in neutral. Get to the battery from the side cover (left). With everything turned off the voltage across the battery terminals should be 12.5 or there abouts.

With the kill switch turned to OFF, hit the starter button a few times. Voltage across the battery should drop to around 9.5 to 10.5 volts with the starter engaged.

Then...with the kill switch to ON, start up the bike and rev to around 1500 - 2000. Voltage across the battery should read no lower than 13.5 and no higher than 14.8. This will tell you the charging coils in the stator are working. Anything other than these readings could mean an eminent stator failure. You need to drop the motor to get to the stator.

All this to say you can't be too careful when purchasing a mature bike.

Johnny

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I agree with all of the above.At 77,000 miles that's a very high mileage bike for over there.I think you can do better for the same money if you keep your eyes open.In saying that if it's been well looked after it could still be a good buy.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.