Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the bike world having just bought my first bike. Loving it so far, but I'm experiencing some issues with my ride.

It doesn't idle quite right, sometimes bogging down and even dying at stoplights occasionally. I took a video of it which can be seen here.

From the research I've done so far, it would seem that I'm probably due for a carb rebuild, although the guy I bought it from supposedly did that and rejetted them before selling to me.

At any rate, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a great weekend.

-CB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the reply! Pulling the choke out makes it idle up and then it doesn't sputter. Not sure if that helps, but I can imagine the carbs need to be rebuilt, or at least cleaned. I'll be posting pics later tonight or sometime this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if I have an air box and filter. Last time I took the seat off I was replacing the regulator and wasn't paying much attention :D

I'll look at it tonight or sometime later this week and let you know.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
1) The fastest way to tell if the air cleaner is there is to remove the right side cover and see if it is there. You should see a big black box with a rubber intake (sort of scoop shaped but with the opening pointing to the rear) mounted in a round plastic part. You turn the plastic part counterclockwise to open it and then pull it outward (sometimes they are hard to turn & to pull out) and there should be a cylindrical filter inside.

2) Assuming you have an air filter, how dirty is it? A really dirty filter can make a bike do that....

3) Did the seller say why he "rejetted" it? The exhaust looks stock. If it has the stock filter too there is no reason to rejet unless you live at a high altitude...

4) If you haven't already, download a copy of the Factory Service Manual (you can find it in the CX Wiki - link in my signature).

5) http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/31323-forum-settings-everyone-should-make.html

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Also......You should get a copy of Larry Cargill's carb book. It is the authority of "How To" clean and service these carbs.

You will likely need to get a Randaak's carb kit. It has all the bits & pieces needed for the carb rebuild.

If the PO "rejetted", then that can indicate a problem with the stock set up. Be prepared. You could be all in for some discoveries. One more note: Squirting a can of Gumout thru the carbs is not cleaning them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey! Thanks for the info. Here are pics of my carb and airbox: https://goo.gl/photos/E4ENjeScvyxVvDu4A (linked to google photos cause it's easier).

I haven't pulled the filter out to look at it yet. I will probably do that tonight or tomorrow.

The seller said why he jetted the carbs in this video:
(this is actually my bike before I bought it from him).

I do have the service manual, thanks!

Working on the forum settings, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the bike world having just bought my first bike. Loving it so far, but I'm experiencing some issues with my ride.

It doesn't idle quite right, sometimes bogging down and even dying at stoplights occasionally. I took a video of it which can be seen here.

From the research I've done so far, it would seem that I'm probably due for a carb rebuild, although the guy I bought it from supposedly did that and rejetted them before selling to me.

At any rate, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a great weekend.

-CB
vacuum leak..also,the guy who did the carbs might not have any idea what he was doing..maybe he messed something up...best bet is to start over...rebuild carbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I just bought Larry's book and am going to tackle it as soon as I can. If it is a vacuum leak, will a carb rebuild fix it?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
Wow, that filter looks new!

A carb rebuild may not do anything for a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak would probably involve the vacuum line that runs from the left side of the right hand carb to the petcock, either one end of it has come off (not so likely because without vacuum to the petcock you would run out of gas in a few minutes) or it has split or cracked.

Another possibility is that there is an air leak, maybe between a carb insulator (intake manifold) and either the carb or the head. If you spray something combustible like WD40 onto those areas while it is running and the engine changes what it is doing you have found the leak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts