Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working a night shift, figured I'd finally put my work on here for you all to see and (maybe) admire. haha

Little background:
I got this 1981 GL500 SilverWing back in July of 2019 for a great price, and it was running and in decent shape, I purchased it with plans of making it into a more appealing looking bike and making it 'my' project bike.
Initially I was gonna go down the cafe route but have since been leaning more towards a scrambler/whatever comes to mind.
The main goal is to keep this within my budget and make it look good and make it lighter.
IMG_2173 (1).jpg

Started tearing into it pretty quick, very dusty and grimey, as expected.

IMG_2242 (1).jpg
IMG_2276 (1).jpg
IMG_2314 (1).jpg
IMG_2339 (1).jpg

Cleaned up the engine a bit, was thinking of painting it but maybe for a later time.

IMG_2658.jpg

More to come!
-Yaro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up taking a cut off wheel to the rear with plans of welding on a hoop.

IMG_2679.jpg
(My daughter wanted to work on her bike, following in dads footsteps)

IMG_2783.jpg
Bare bones!

IMG_3235.jpg
Tank sanded, primed, ready to have the dents repaired.

IMG_4633.jpg
Coming together finally.

IMG_4710.jpg
Putting the wiring back in, was thinking of going LED front headlight but will probably stay with stock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too, was working a nightshift last night when I first saw this.
I definitely want to go the Scrambler route. I've owned a few sportbikes, and I prefer to sit upright.
This website is a godsend for lost souls like us. So many good examples of transverse twin builds.
I wish more of the hobbies I have been involved in had this kind of info on tap...
Murray is a standout of this crowd. His carbs, mid-pipes, and advice have really taken my project to a level I could have only dreamed about. Good luck on your journey to build the Honda Transverse twin only your mind, and wallet, can create!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @NW-CX500, It's definitely been a journey and would have probably been long done already but the winters in the Midwest can be unforgiving, especially since the project sits in a detached garage.

I have been doing a lot of searching on this site in regards to intake/exhaust/carb set up, not sure which path I will take, I kind of have a idea that I hope will work, will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made some progress with the electrical pan, which also acts as a mud guard 😬

I was hoping to put a battery in there too but I think I might run out of room, (unless I use a smaller MotoBatt) plan was to make that space like a stock air box but with nice pods and velocity stack with sides vented.

Ideas??

-Yaro

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little update:

She lives!!
While waiting to purchase a new AGM battery, I ended up hooking up my old battery and fired up the ol' thing. It was nice to hear it running.
Finished up tidying up the front (blinkers stay on, probably need a new flasher relay).
Next step will be to coat the tank, figure out where to relocate the battery and finish up the electronics in the rear.

IMG_4802 (2).jpg

Yaro

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The front blinkers function as running lights and turn signals, hence the bulb with two filaments. It is normal for the running lights to be on. If they don't flash when the turn indicator switch is operated then there may be a problem with your flasher. Have you switched to LED turn indicators? If so you need a suitable flasher relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I got some LED turn signals and should be receiving my new LED turn relay in the mail shortly. After searching the forums it seems like the relays need to be compatible with the LED.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks good so far! What're you using for headlight mounts and turn signals, and what was it like installing them? I have a GL that came with a Windjammer and no stock headlights/turn signals, and I thought I might put on something a little chunky than the originals. Yours look great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good so far! What're you using for headlight mounts and turn signals, and what was it like installing them? I have a GL that came with a Windjammer and no stock headlights/turn signals, and I thought I might put on something a little chunky than the originals. Yours look great.
Thanks!
The mounts and LED turn signals are both from eBay, I like the setup and they way the turn signals are low profile and don't draw much attention to them. I am still having issues with making them flash, but I think the next step for that is to buy a better flasher.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More updates:
Its running good, needs some tuning but I'm quite surprised that it has as much torque as it does, she gets up and goes!
I ended up going with the UNI foam pods and planning on making the compartment to simulate a stock airbox, the ideas are in my head but we shall see when it comes to actually doing it (excuse the ghetto battery mount) haha.
Overall, happy with the way its turning out and happy that its lighter than I imagined.

IMG_4919.jpg IMG_4917.jpg IMG_4920.jpg IMG_4916.jpg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks!
The mounts and LED turn signals are both from eBay, I like the setup and they way the turn signals are low profile and don't draw much attention to them. I am still having issues with making them flash, but I think the next step for that is to buy a better flasher.

Awesome, thanks for the links! As far as a flasher goes, I believe that Larry (@LRCXed) recommended me the Tridon EP34 flasher relay, which I used on my last bike when I added LED rear blinkers. Here it is on Amazon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts