Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on getting a cx500 running for one of my friends and i have ran into a bit of a dilemma and im fearing it is going to need a new stator. The bike is a 1981 cx500c.

My friend was told by the pervious owner that the bike ran great it just had been sitting for a very long time. Everything on the bike is clean and in great original shape down to the smallest things, i dont believe it is missing a thing.

The first night working on it the bike had no spark so i put a cdi on from a parts bike i had in the garage and i got a nice blue/white spark. After charging the battery up it fired off fairly easy for not running in a long time and seemed to idle nicely i rode it around the block and it was a bit sluggish. The next day i cleaned the carbs, after reinstalling them it started about how it did the night before. Took about 10 minutes of trying and had to put the battery charger on it. (i had just bought the battery about a week ago for another bike so the battery is new and in good shape) When i got the bike started i rode it around the neighborhood and it went great. It wasnt bogging down at all and it idled nicely. After i got back from the ride i let it sit for about 15 minutes and tried to start it. It was still difficult to start, even after being warmed up.

Over the next couple days it didnt want to start at all and would give me a few nasty backfires in the course of trying. Last night i was checking to make sure the plug boots we're ok. (Pulling the two covers off so i could see if sparks were shooting all around the spark plug when trying to start it) Much to my surprise the bike started while i was just checking to see if sparks were going everywhere. (the bike had not ran in a couple days and it had zero choke) I rode it around the neighborhood and it rode and idled great, but same thing wouldn't start back up after sitting for a couple minutes.

I tested the stator tonight and everything checked out good except 7 (RH adv pulser) came back at 125 instead of 185-225 and 9 (source coil low speed) came back at 102 instead of 387-473

It's looking like it needs a new stator and pulser but im just confused because it ran and idled so well when it would crank. Also i am getting a little bit of gas on the left spark plug.

It has spark, fuel and compression. The carbs are clean. The valves have been adjusted and the timing is correct. Fresh oil, new battery (which seems to be draining a little funnier than it should)

Is there anything else i should check before i tell my buddy he has to buy a new stator and pulser?

Sorry for the long post i just wanted to share as much as i could up front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murray i will do that now. I had assumed since i was getting spark they are ok. But i could be wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the plug boots off of my cx (which runs great) and put them on the 81. There was a significantly better spark. I charged the battery up for awhile and tried to start it again. The battery was reading 13.03 volts, i turned the key on and it jumped down to about 12.25 and it steadily kept declining just with the key turned on. I tried to crank the bike and it started up easily, idled for about 5 seconds and then died. When i tried to recrank it i got nothing and the battery had dropped to around 11 volts.

I charged the battery up again, 13.22 volts with the key off, turned the key on and it dropped to 12.40 volts and was declining from there. I tried to crank and got nothing except a loud backfire. I checked the battery again and it was at 12.05 volts and still dropping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts