Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm venturing into working on my bike for the first time. After sitting for months in the Nashville winter, it was great to get it running yesterday with a charged battery and a little Seafoam. Felt amazing to ride after 7 months.

The most apparent problem is that the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I got a multimeter and did the tests explained here:

CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - CDI Stator Explained and Test(Simple)

These are my results (in tests two and three the readings did fluctuate a bit and not settle):

Test One (Battery, 2k DC setting)
12.5 when fully charged
11 after running a while

Test Two (Three yellow prongs, 2k resistance setting)
1-2: .01-.05
2-3: .008 -.02
1-3: .062 - .082

Test Three (Three yellow prongs, 2k resistance setting)
1-ground: .003 - .03
2-ground: .02 - .05
3-ground: .002

I have a few questions:
-It failed test one. Did it pass tests two and three? These readings seem pretty low, except for 1-3.
-The readings did fluctuate. Is there a "wrong" way to hold the multimeter leads?
-I noticed clear white grease on the yellow prong connection. Is this normal? Some kind of electrical grease?
-Where is the ground cable? How can I check if it's good?

I had a mechanic tell me it's a bad stator whilst broken down in Indiana, but I'd like to check everything else before getting inside the engine. Hopefully I'll get a better understanding of the bike's electrical system on the way.

Thanks in advance for the help!

SAM

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Have you tried the voltage check speced in this write up?
http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Testing+your+stator

sounds like the stator is bad.

-It failed test one. Did it pass tests two and three? These readings seem pretty low, except for 1-3.

Sounds like it failed test 3 also but 2 looks good

-The readings did fluctuate. Is there a "wrong" way to hold the multimeter leads?

Not really wrong but fluctuations implies you did not maintain good contact the entire time. It can be challenging.

-I noticed clear white grease on the yellow prong connection. Is this normal? Some kind of electrical grease?

There might be electrical grease on the pins. That would be good to protect the pins from oxidation.

-Where is the ground cable? How can I check if it's good?

The stator does not have a ground cable. They are making reference to the ground cable in the battery. Check it and all the other grounds on the bike.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
The extremely low readings are dependant on the range setting.

Try lower settings. Or borrow an auto-ranging DMM.

Tough to make conclusions on these readings. I'd suggest repeating the measurements with lower range settings or an Auto-ranging meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts