Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just registered, was on old forum.

Bought an 81 CX500 Deluxe, last winter and got a few summer projects out of the way so am ready to pull it out of the shed and get started on it.

Paint and trim is all in good condition no dents or scratched paint, this bike has been garaged it's whole life.

It had not been stored properly and has a few problems, so will be posting questions as I go along.

The usual problems exist, the gas tank is full of rust(need to get it cleaned out and probably coat the inside. Carbs are stuck(throttle cables won't turn the butterfies) they are going to need a rebuild. Will need a new battery. And the front brake caliper is stuck.

Probably going to need new tires but that will wait till it's running.

The bike originally belonged to a friend who rode it everyday year round as a commuter.

Was well taken care of until he took early retirement and became a snowbird.

Has a little over 8,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Good luck.  Make sure you post where you are, chances are there's somebody on here near you.  That's sounds almost how I got mine, except for my tank had already been coated with some type of liner.  

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah Right! have not got around to filling out a profile.

I'm in Colfax,Iowa. 25 miles east of Des Moines on I80 at the 155 mile marker.

Used to ride a lot of Dirt and Observed Trials, but at 60 my body is not up to that stuff anymore.

So this is my first street bike in 23 yrs.

I am not at all sure about riding to Des Moines in Rush Hour traffic, running I80 & 80/35, so probably won't commute on the bike.

But it would be nice to come home and go for a ride to relive the stress in the evening.

A few day trips and a trip to western Colorado is on my Bucket list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah Right! have not got around to filling out a profile.

I'm in Colfax,Iowa. 25 miles east of Des Moines on I80 at the 155 mile marker.

Used to ride a lot of Dirt and Observed Trials, but at 60 my body is not up to that stuff anymore.

So this is my first street bike in 23 yrs.

I am not at all sure about riding to Des Moines in Rush Hour traffic, running I80 & 80/35, so probably won't commute on the bike.

But it would be nice to come home and go for a ride to relive the stress in the evening.

A few day trips and a trip to western Colorado is on my Bucket list.

Ok I was mistaken, I went out to the shed last night and the bike has 25,495 miles on it.

That works out to 862 miles per year. Joe lived about a mile from work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have heard that filling the tank with white vinager will safely remove the rust. Also pine sol works good on the carbs. good luck on the rebuild as they are a joy to ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Vinegar takes forever if it is anything but light. If you don't want to hurt the metal use a product called evaporust. I think it's about $20 a gallon but reusable.

I use a mixture of muriatic acid and water when I want to get the job done quick. But it will eat the metal and your petcock if left for to long. So replace the petcock with a rubber plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vinegar takes forever if it is anything but light. If you don't want to hurt the metal use a product called evaporust. I think it's about $20 a gallon but reusable.

I use a mixture of muriatic acid and water when I want to get the job done quick. But it will eat the metal and your petcock if left for to long. So replace the petcock with a rubber plug.
I had thought of acid, but the tank has no dents and no scratches in the unfaded original paint. Since I would like to put some miles on this and am confident in it's reliability, before I think of changing anything. I don't want to use anything that will damage the paint if I can help it.

I read somewhere of using detergent and BB's to knock the rust off.

I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Jim, I have used the detergent method on a extremely rusty tank. I first used a pressure washer in the fill tube and thru the petcock hole to blast as much off as I could. Then I sealed the petcock hole with duct tape and added some sharp edged nuts (count how many you put in) and proceeded to hand the tank to my wife. I then told her I was buying 2 more bikes to restore. By the time the action tirade wound down, the rust was mostly knocked off the inside. You may want to experiment on a old tank first, in case she turns out to be a "thrower".

Old chainsaw chains work well too. You want something with sharp edges, BB's may not scour much off. And phosphoric acid diluted is usually safe. On mine, I ended up doing a liner with POR15, I just didn't feel comfortable that I had gotten all the rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha! I got a laugh out of that! I'm not about to hand it to my wife.

She already thinks I'm too old to be playing with a bike, and is not happy.

She's mad at my brother for buying a Soft Tail cause she knew I would get the Bug.

She does not understand that telling a biker he should not ride, is like telling him not to breathe. I got a Harley Hummer in 1965, and it's been in my blood since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.