Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New Member....I'm at the end of a long build and I need to replace my fork seals but every service manual has a different fork than is on the 81 cx500D and I can not for the life of me figure out how to take them apart, if someone can direct me to a service guide or has any info on how to take these forks apart I would appreciate it

Thank you for taking the time to read this

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi everyone,

New Member....I'm at the end of a long build and I need to replace my fork seals but every service manual has a different fork than is on the 81 cx500D and I can not for the life of me figure out how to take them apart, if someone can direct me to a service guide or has any info on how to take these forks apart I would appreciate it

Thank you for taking the time to read this
How to take apart the forks or how to remove them? How far into it are you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have them removed, the top unscrewed, the large spring removed, the half moon locking washer thing removed but can't separate it from there

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cant get the hex head bolt out of the bottom that holds it all together?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finally got everything apart and now can't get the new fork seal to go back in, is there a technique or do I have have a special tool?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Get everything in place (bushings), then push your fork seal down so that its ready to be seated. You can uses a fork seal driver, I use a piece of PVC pipe of the right diameter (I think it's 1.5 inch off the top of my head, about 4 feet long). Use it to seat your seal by tapping it with a mallet, doesn't take a lot of force once you're using it. Then install circlip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you , I'll go give that a try right now, are the seals supposed to be very lightly bigger than the old ones that came out? from compression?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you , I'll go give that a try right now, are the seals supposed to be very lightly bigger than the old ones that came out? from compression?
I typically rim a smidgen of fork oil on the outside of the seals, they go in a little better. They should fit in the top of the slider with finger pressure, but you shouldn't be able to push them in without a tool or PVC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered another new set, these are far too big, just ruined one and compared the and they are quite a bit bigger.......rrrrrrr

Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ordered another set, these are too big and I just noticed they the bottom of them look different......rrrrrr..

Thank you very much for the info, I really appreciate it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts