Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road this bike all over North America over the course of the last decade. Last fall it puttered out and quit on me while wandering around Minnesota. Won't start, no spark. Now I am moving and don't have time to work on it, so I'm looking for advice about pricing to sell as is. It's in pretty good shape overall.

Some specifics:
  • Won't start. No spark.
  • The brake master cylinder needs replacing. Somehow the little window showing fluid level got crushed while transporting back home after the bike stalled.
  • Braided steal brake lines. Brakes, calipers, rotors all good.
  • New battery
  • G8 stator with Ignitech
  • Triple bypass done in June 2016
  • Larry rebuilt carbs in 2012
  • Dunlop Elite 3 tires are in good shape but both more than 5 years old
  • Tank and side panels are a bit scuffed up, nothing major
  • Odometer shows 30K, but failed on a long trip before fixing, so maybe an extra 1000 on it.
  • Clean title in hand.

What's she worth?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,115 Posts
As a non-runner, you won't get a lot for it. Sadly, it's parts or a project. Neither will draw a premium.
It could be an easy fix. Have you verified power to the ignitech unit? Proper function of the kill switch?
How soon are you moving? I'd be happy to come try some of the simple fixes.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
95 Posts
Nice looking bike. As Randal says though - non-runners don't sell for a premium, which would be a shame as it sounds like you've done a lot good things to it over the past few years.

According to Kelly Blue Book (and you might already know this), trade in value for good condition & running in my zip code would be around $950, and a typical list price would be $1,800.

Good luck, hope you can fix it!!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,115 Posts
There's another member in the Twin Cities looking for a CX. Maybe the two of you can connect.
This Saturday's Zoom Meetup would be a good chance to do that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big thanks to Randall for taking the time to stop by my place and troubleshoot! It appears the Ignitech unit itself died on me. Going to order up a replacement to see if I can get this baby running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts