Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Today I fabbed the gauge support bracket that locates the indicators.
It's just fitted, not powder coated yet.
GREEN = neutral light
AMBER = either blinker
RED = oil pressure
BLUE = hi beam (built in to the headlight bucket)
I am mounting a digital temp. gauge.
That TackForm cell phone mount is AWESOME.
And I freshened up the radiator, and it's sitting with the shroud, and sub-frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I mounted my first couple of Dzus hardware brackets. The ruler represents a mounting bracket I will fab in.
And this silver bushing I got (Amazon) adapts the coolant sensor from M16 x 1.5 to 1/8" NPT.
This allows the little tiny Chinese temp. gauge to screw right into the OEM Honda hole.
And, straight outta Australia... my Rae San Full Hall Kit showed up ! ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
They'll need to be bright, that close to the headlight.
I'd verify the legality of that setup. As bright as they are, they still may not be visible to oncoming traffic.

Randall
I live in a tiny rural town, I work 4 miles from my house, I will hand signal, and ride defensively. I am about to be 50 years old, riding an '80s Honda, I have an endorsement, insurance, and a clean record for over a decade. Getting in trouble for small blinkers is a chance I am willing to take. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
The safe way to ride is to assume that none of the oncoming drivers see your turn signals, let alone your bike. The time where front turn signals are most dangerous is when not cancelled after a turn. That, according to Murphy's Law is when the oncoming driver will see your turn signal and act accordingly by pulling out in front of you.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
In the low light conditions when oncoming drivers won't see these signals, they won't see your hand signals, either.
I have less concern about being ticketed for something like this than having an insurance claim denied because of noncompliant equipment.

Randall

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
No pics to show for it, but I did the "brass rod mod" Murray provided with the carbs.
And I used his "quick-set" tool and adjusted the valves, followed by installing the NGK Iridium plugs.
My list is pretty much down to; install Rae San ignition, fab electrics tray, and wire the entire bike.
I figure a few more weeks, at the pace I get things done...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, as Randall pointed out, my front blinker choice/mounting location left something to be desired.
As much as I want to leave them alone (for now), I decided to do something MUCH better now, rather than add that to my phase 2 list.
These are some of the most high-end signal lights on the market, and due to the 360 degree design, and my new mounting location...
they will act as driver indicators as well. Motogadget MBLAZE ICE ... (4-5 week backordered from the supplier, completely out of stock on Amazon)
But, I found an eBay seller that had them. They will be here next week. As you can imagine they are priced accordingly. $152/pr. to the door.
Similar, but slightly more, than my Kuryakyn by Kellerman ones in the back. So, about $300 for blinkers.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Rae San install, motor scrubbed up a bit.
Also installed the adapter/sending unit for the temp. gauge.
Tomorrow I will paint the "back 2/3" of the frame, and re-install the engine.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts