Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I brought her home looking like this...I paid $600, 17k mi., garage kept (mostly), and new Hondaline oil EVERY year!
I have a HUGE pile of parts waiting... and so it begins.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had no desire to own this bike in the condition I found it... I bought it as a canvas for my custom build.
I rode it exactly 35 miles to prove mechanical function, then the tear down began.
The Samsonite luggage, and Vetter Fairing were given away on my curb (with a HUGE FREE sign)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I ordered new wheel bearings (for when I powdercoat my wheels). I already received a 1980 GL1100 rear 17' wheel from eBay. It's in great shape, I'm ripping it apart, and doing the frankenwheel conversion with my stock CX500 center unit. And I ordered a complete front brake caliper/hose/master setup from a 1982 Ascot. That has the newer dual piston caliper, the stock CX500 single piston one piston is pretty lame.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am aware, my build is in it's infancy, and there are some DAMN FINE builds in the "completed build" section...
But, I have been doing my research / developing my opinions of this build direction for over a year, and I hope all of you on CX500 Forum will appreciate this build once it really gets rolling...
I have equipment to Cerakote, and Powdercoat in my shop. I also just got a 2 year welding degree, at my local community college.
So, I am open to suggestion/ critique from you few people on this earth who have a deep understanding of the CX500.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my twin piston caliper, wheel bearings, brake pads & shoes, headset bearings, and fork seals. While I wait for the "slow boat from Vietnam" to deliver my seat... I am prepping more parts for powder coating. I blasted the rear brake backing plate, and drive unit. I will coat them, and a few other small items in the next few days, pics to follow...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Looking good. What is your powder coating setup?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking good. What is your powder coating setup?

I bought the Eastwood "Dual-Voltage" gun. I have been Cerakoting for a few years, so I just added an additional heating element to my oven, to hit the higher temperature needed to cure powder coating. My oven is a Diamond plate truck box up on end, so the door opens like a fridge, it's wrapped in ducting insulation. I used a Presto pancake griddle as a heat source before, but that only reached about 305 F, which was adequate for Cerakote. Now I use that as a base heat, and an added 110v stove element w/PID controller that takes over from there, up to just over 400 F. My 17" rear wheel BARELY fit in there... My 19" front wheel will NOT fit, so today I am cutting the truck box open, and doing some sheet metal work. I plan to add around 8-10" in depth, so I could fit 2 LARGE wheels at once, like 22"x10"s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just had 4 days off... Spent most of my spare time rebuilding/expanding my powdercoating oven.
I managed to coat a few small parts doing a trial run temperature experiment...
20200314_220720.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only a little progress this week... my stock shocks were dull chrome with slight surface rust. NOT any more ! The Faraday effect really kept much powder from reaching the inner tubes, but I think they look ALOT better than before.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, I worked a lot of hours the last couple weeks, very little progress on this build... But a little has happened. I got Murray's mid-pipes, and quick-set tool.
I had my Hayabusa OEM mufflers in the rafters of my shop, my CX500 megaphones were in fantastic shape, except the end caps were rusty.
I salvaged the stainless tips from the Hayabusa, got a small section of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe from local muffler shop, and made custom secondary baffles.
I will Cerakote the entire exhaust Graphite Black.
I will tig weld it all together, with Kaowool in the baffle. I can't wait to hear how this experiment sounds...
Murray was great to deal with, his parts came quickly, and he answered my questions promptly.
I will order his carbs later this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost forgot, my headlight bulb came too! I watched a long review of LED replacement bulbs, this bulb rated very well. $47... after shipping.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts