Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just a quick question,

manual says to remove the motor to do the seal true or false and if so do i need to remove rear tire to remove shaft? will that rear cover come off without lowering back half of motor looks tight in there but then again i am assuming till i know the facts.... i looked over the instructions in the manual shep directed me to this morning.... looks easy enough but book says remove engine... anyone for see an easier way... thanks love the forum it Rocks very helpfull people here.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, i can get the Yamaha seal for 25.00 and then i would need a water pump gasket, cheap enough. does anyone know what the part # for the yamaha seal is however i found a mechanical seal on ebay 22.00 anyone no cheaper or the yamaha seal #

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
cool, i can get the Yamaha seal for 25.00 and then i would need a water pump gasket, cheap enough. does anyone know what the part # for the yamaha seal is however i found a mechanical seal on ebay 22.00 anyone no cheaper or the yamaha seal #
not sure about price,but,

Note:If you use the Yamaha Seal(Part No:11H-12438-10-00) the glue they use is harder so heat underneath the metal cup until it sizzles and be careful and don't force it

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure about price,but,

Note:If you use the Yamaha Seal(Part No:11H-12438-10-00) the glue they use is harder so heat underneath the metal cup until it sizzles and be careful and don't force it

Cool thanks bandit will get the seal and gasket this weekend, and get r done.... seems easy enough I have heat proof mechanic gloves so should help in the heating and seperation of the seal and rubber.... next up i will order the carb rebuild kit for the bike found them 25 bucks a kit Thanks blessings to all

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Cool thanks bandit will get the seal and gasket this weekend, and get r done.... seems easy enough I have heat proof mechanic gloves so should help in the heating and seperation of the seal and rubber.... next up i will order the carb rebuild kit for the bike found them 25 bucks a kit Thanks blessings to all
did you read abes,s post above,ref.gasket.which i agree with

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the heads up missed that nice to see that should i add alittle sealer before install or should i be good. Never was able to reuse gasket cars and trucks are different LOL thanks and blessings
these gaskets are just a little different,wash it in warm soapy water,and it should be fine

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If the rubber seal/gasket is a little flat you can drop it on a small bowl of boiling water.This will allow the rubber to expand back a bit and get some of it's elasticity back.Then if still a little flat I use some RTV in the groove of the Water pump cover so that it helps make the Seal proud of the cover on re-fit.It also prevents the seal from slipping out on refit.

HTH

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the rubber seal/gasket is a little flat you can drop it on a small bowl of boiling water.This will allow the rubber to expand back a bit and get some of it's elasticity back.Then if still a little flat I use some RTV in the groove of the Water pump cover so that it helps make the Seal proud of the cover on re-fit.It also prevents the seal from slipping out on refit.

HTH

Will do just that thanks guys, blessings to you.. Yamaha did not have the seal in stock which is ok don't get paid till Friday so by the time they get it in I will pick it up..... next week i buy the carb rebuilds and she should be good

·
Registered
546 Posts
... seems easy enough I have heat proof mechanic gloves so should help in the heating and seperation of the seal and rubber....

Gloves probably not necessary either. I held the cup in a set of pliers in my left hand, zapped it with the torch with the right hand for a few short seconds.

You may want to get a new copper crush washer, if not anneal the old one before you reinstall. Also get a new water transfer tube o-ring. In my experience they don't reinstall well after they've been used. They are cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys.

Just a quick question on this subject. I also have to replace the mech seal on my cx650e. It is not available locally and the agents have to order from Japan. Would the Yamaha seal work on my model as well?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Hi guys.

Just a quick question on this subject. I also have to replace the mech seal on my cx650e. It is not available locally and the agents have to order from Japan. Would the Yamaha seal work on my model as well?

Thanks guys.

I don't see why not.Also as you are in SA I'd do some research and look to irrigation companies.The Mech seals are not a bike specific item.They are a stock industrial item used in irrigation-industrial pumps/swimming pool pumps.

See this page and see if you can source a Davy pump seal or Aeseal,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Mseal.html

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...I also have to replace the mech seal on my cx650e. It is not available locally and the agents have to order from Japan. Would the Yamaha seal work on my model as well...

I believe the 500 and 650 seals are different sizes - they do not have the same Honda part number. The Yamaha seal fits the 500. I'll try to compare sizes later today.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I believe the 500 and 650 seals are different sizes - they do not have the same Honda part number. The Yamaha seal fits the 500. I'll try to compare sizes later today.

I'm hoping that the inners are the same?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I just did a side-by-side comparison of the Yamaha seal and the Honda 650 seal. They are indeed the same size.

I only noticed one difference between them other than the part numbers. The metal cup on the Yamaha seal has a stamped indention on its rear (the side that would face the front of the bike) along the inner edge. This may provide some extra clearance for the camshaft but I have no idea if this is needed.

From what I saw, it looks like the Yamaha seal would be a good replacement for the Honda 650 seal. It's likely that the 650 seal could be installed in a 500 bike but I'd want to check camshaft clearances first.

The innards of the two seals appear to be identical so they can be transplanted either way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.