Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 80 cx500 from my Uncle. It ran when I bought it but hesitated and would not rev higher then 4000 rpm. I tried changing the CDI ignition box and now the bike will not start at all. I removed the box while the bike was running, then it never started after either spark CDI box was installed.

Is there something else that will cause the CDI box to fail to pulse? The bike has 85000 miles and ran great when I got it other than the hesitation. I really dont want to junk the bike, but if I can fix it, I will have a nice custom.

The pulser cover was also removed and was packed with grease and had water in it. I removed all the greasy waterey substance.

If I have to replace the pulser, I guess I would have to remove the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Chris, I'm not sure what happened. You said you unplugged the CDI while the engine was running? I have not heard of anyone doing that before, so I can't say that caused your problem. But it is very possible. When you break a circuit under load, bad things can happen with electronics. The pulsar cover you are referring to may be the advancer system. The pulsars are located inside the engine cover that you can't see without removing the rear cover. Was this cover off before when it was running? There can be a bit of grease there, but really unnecessary to have any there. There shouldn't be any water in the cover, unless you just finished power washing it and the gasket was bad.

I think I would start with checking the voltage on the blue and the white wire coming from the stator. These are the windings that supply the power to the CDI. You should be seeing a minimum of 70 volts AC from the white (low speed winding), and 90 volts from the blue wire to ground. (high speed winding). I'm not sure of how to properly check the advancer unit, the service manual may tell you how. You don't have a manual? Download one from the io site under the General Discussion forum. Look under Quick Reference, I just bumped it up to the front.

By the way, it is probably your carbs causing the original problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.