Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my carbs back together and hooking up fuel on the bench, the left carb is leaking fuel from what I think is the atmospheric vent. It looks like a brass post with holes on top and bottom and is jutting out just above the main fuel tube. The right carb does not have this problem. Would this have anything to do with the fact that the left carb houses the accelerator pump and the right does not? Carb was rebuilt the Larry way, all new orings. Although I did reuse the floats and float valve needles. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
20,584 Posts
Either you have crap in your fuel supply and it has come down and caught in the float needle or the float is reluctant to leave the bottom of the bowl.

Try draining the fuel with the petcock off. When the carb has emptied, leave the drain open and turn the petcock on and off a few times while tapping the float bowl with a f####ing big hammer..... I mean, a screwdriver handle really. Then close the carb drain, open the petcock and let the bowl fill while continuing to tap. Hopefully now the float will rise, the needle will seat and life will be good again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's been a few days since I've checked this post. Thanks for the advice cxphreak, I went ahead and replaced both float needles since I was last on here and that cleared it up. Turned the fuel on, hooked up the battery, turned the key an she roared to life after barely pressin that button. Probably the first time in 20 years that bike has ran( last tagged and licensed in '92).

Hopefully I can breathe 30 more years out of it now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts