Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new on here, I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand.

I have a 1983 CX 650 E. The Engine is shot, I put an add on the internet and had a reply from a guy with a 1980 CX500.

He says he is 100% sure I can do a complete motor swap and will have no problem.

Is this true or is he trying to take me?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Although such a swap is possible, it will be a lot of work and you'll need many parts besides the engine. Just for starts, the 1980 CX uses a CDI ignition, and your bike is wired for a TI ignition. Much customization work will be necessary and the results will probably be less than satisfying.

Your best bet is to get a 650 engine from a GL650 or CX650C or CX650E. The engine output shaft may have to be swapped in some cases but that is not difficult.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I am new on here, I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand.

I have a 1983 CX 650 E. The Engine is shot, I put an add on the internet and had a reply from a guy with a 1980 CX500.

He says he is 100% sure I can do a complete motor swap and will have no problem.

Is this true or is he trying to take me?

Thanks for the help.

How "shot" is the engine? If you're patient you may be able to find a 650 engine from a salvage yard or another bike someone's parting out for reasons other than the engine being bad. It would sure make things easier but unless the engine is really toast rebuilding it may not be as bad as trying to swap it for something that wasn't meant to fit.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well there's a question. Shot and shot are two different things. There are several things that can kill an engine but as long as the crank is ok, pistons and rings are there and the cylinders aren't rusted up it's savable.

I mentioned the pistons and rings because they are NLA.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I assume you're from the great white north because "E" models are rare in USA. If your engine is truly unsalvageable,

I'd wait it out for another 650. The exhaust header between the 500 and 650 are different and cannot be interchanged.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I posted some observations about going the other way in this thread:

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...project-bike-gl-engine-in-a-cx-rolling-frame/

You'll have to change the front engine hangers because the 650 is wider/taller than a 500. Not sure which ones would work; maybe GL500s. You'll also have issues with the radiator bracket spacing on the narrower 500 engine. Spacers may work for that.

The electrics changed in 1982, am I correct? so you'd kind of need to reuse the 650 rear cover and flywheel so they'd match.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.