Honda CX 500 Forum banner

80’ CX500C Electrical issue

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  richnct 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I’m having an issue where when I press the starter to try and start the bike nothing happens. I’m getting a click every now and then from my starter relay (it’s new) but nothing else is happening. Wondering if it could be a ignition thing or starter motor. I have banged the starter motor and nothing. It’s like the bike is dead. All the lights come on and battery is good. But can’t get any cranks or anything.

#2 · (Edited)
Your battery is questionable. It might be able to push enough power for the lights, but not to turn the engine. Perform a load test, or take it to a battery shop or auto parts store. They'll often test it for free.

#3 ·
Your battery is questionable. It might be able to push enough power for the lights, but not to turn the engine. Perform a load test, of take it to a battery shop or auto parts store. They'll often test it for free.
Thanks for the info, I’ve ordered one of those Anti gravity gel batteries but it’s not coming for a bit so I’ll try and figure out something for the time being. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Mine did this as well when I first got it. I charged my battery and put it back in the bike and it started right up, but after a little riding the bike was dead again. Turns out a coil on my stator was bad and the battery wasn't charging. You might run the stator test if you're still having problems.

#5 · (Edited)
This ^^^^^^^^ should have been the first thing you did.

When Randall said your battery was questionable and your location didn't show when I moused over your avatar pic I assumed you were local to him and he knew about this issue off forum.
I have more time today so I looked up your IP address location (moderators can do that) and I see that you are not local to him.
If you had added your location to your profile as I asked you to do when you joined it would show when you mouse over your avatar pic and I would have suggested checking the stator last week.

#6 ·
I suggested a test, not a replacement without determining the fault.
Old bike's are a lot less expensive when you diagnose first.

If he were local, I'd have said, "Bring it over here."

#8 ·
First thing I do on any vehicle with a weak battery is hook a volt meter to the battery, start the engine then rev it up some. I want to see the voltage probably go up at idle a bit, definitely go up to between 13.5 - 14.5 v or so at elevated rpm. If not, it’s likely a charging system fault. That said, a faulty battery can do strange things so having a load test on the battery is also a good idea. Both “tests” are easy and free. A known good battery is a good first step in any electrical diagnostics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.