Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1982 gl500
78 Posts
I would check the condition of the petcock's filter and replacing it if needed. Inline filters often cause problems of their own.....
Interesting, I have never had an issue myself, what sort of problems do they cause, vapor lock?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
The most common problem when adding a filter where one wasn't intended is getting the outlet higher than the inlet so the air bubble that most filters have ends up at the outlet and the carbs starve.

Aside from that, an inline filter on a CX/GL500/650 is really a band aid solution; The proper fix is to have the tank epoxy lined (mine was done in '03).

BTW: I don't object to inline filters where they are appropriate. My GoldWing has 2 tanks, neither of which has an internal filter so it has 2 inline filters at the inlets for the tank selector valve.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If you are lucky you didn't put much gas in and it is running out. If not probably some dirt in one of the carbs moved. I think I mentioned not to be surprised if you needed to clean them....
I filled it up quarter tank I was hoping to not have to take the carbs apart but just wishful thinking I guess!:LOL: Hopefully they just need cleaned

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
I would check the condition of the petcock's filter and replacing it if needed. Inline filters often cause problems of their own.....
Does that mean these bikes weren’t originally equipped with in-line fuel filters? Mine already had a bronze element filter in-line between the petcock and carbs when I bought it, and I didn’t think anything of it.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Does that mean these bikes weren’t originally equipped with in-line fuel filters? Mine already had a bronze element filter in-line between the petcock and carbs when I bought it, and I didn’t think anything of it.
correct no factory installed in-line filters

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Taking apart the carbs today to clean them with help from a very informative YouTube video I found doesn’t seem to be too difficult

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
Several instances of poorly oriented inline filters causing the problem I described have been reported/discovered by forum members over the years.

Personally, I've had it happen on a riding mower but the not on a CX. The only time I have ever installed an inline filter on a CX was at the end of the experiment with the a non-vacuum petcock and separate vacuum valve. The vac valve might have been OK on a bike that was used every day in warm weather but if mine sat for more than 4 days it wasn't as easy to start as I would have liked and it got worse as the coldest part of winter approached so I decided to remove the valve; I also wanted to be able to see fuel flowing in case the valve wasn't the problem so I popped in a filter I had on hand and made sure the outlet was lower than the inlet to avoid the potential problem.
Starting after a few days parked became a lot easier and I didn't need to see if fuel was flowing so when it warmed up I changed back to an uninterrupted hose from the petcock to the carbs (and used the filter that was on the CX for a few hundred Km on the riding mower).

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
well I think I found the problem, the O ring on the output of the carb to the motor on the right bank was broken so I’m assuming that this causes a vacuum leak and in turn made it run spotty and die after a minute or two of running carbs look fine no dirt in bowl a little grime in here but other than that I’m surprised how clean they were

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky. If it was me I think I might plan to add some carb cleaner to the first tank or 2 of gas and expect to eventually need to replace the rubber parts in the carbs but fir now I'd move on to whatever else the bike needs.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Sounds like you got lucky. If it was me I think I might plan to add some carb cleaner to the first tank or 2 of gas and expect to eventually need to replace the rubber parts in the carbs but fir now I'd move on to whatever else the bike needs.
This is the last step I have to get it running correctly and she should be ready for its first ride I just have to buy the o ring at the parts store and pull all back together

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
How are the brakes working? Did you ever change the tires? Have you adjusted the valve clearances and set the camchain tensioner adjuster? I'd want to deal with those things before playing in traffic.....

The o-ring size can be found in the parts drawings on your favourite Honda dealer's website. Note that most places list metric o-rings by Outside Diameter and cross section but Honda specifies the Inside Diameter and the cross section.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
How are the brakes working? Did you ever change the tires? Have you adjusted the valve clearances and set the camchain tensioner adjuster? I'd want to deal with those things before playing in traffic.....

The o-ring size can be found in the parts drawings on your favourite Honda dealer's website. Note that most places list metric o-rings by Outside Diameter and cross section but Honda specifies the Inside Diameter and the cross section.
When it was running it sounded to me everything was perfect so I didn’t want to open up the motor and the tires are new brakes are good

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
Reminds me of that line from an old song "The brakes are good, tires fair" ;-)

Do you mean you put new tires on or that they were new 5 years ago?

Checking the valve clearances and setting the camchain tensioner adjuster is routine maintenance that I would do before I test drove. It only involves un-screwing the timing mark inspection port cover and the cover for using a wrench to turn the crankshaft and removing the valve covers (not exactly "opening up the motor").

BTW: When are we going to see some pics of the whole bike?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Reminds me of that line from an old song "The brakes are good, tires fair" ;-)

Do you mean you put new tires on or that they were new 5 years ago?

Checking the valve clearances and setting the camchain tensioner adjuster is routine maintenance that I would do before I test drove. It only involves un-screwing the timing mark inspection port cover and the cover for using a wrench to turn the crankshaft and removing the valve covers (not exactly "opening up the motor").

BTW: When are we going to see some pics of the whole bike?

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
After a long night of putting the carbs back together and struggling with everything imaginable no start.. crank crank crank crank and absolutely nothing full choke half choke no choke and still nothing. I couldn’t imagine what I did wrong everything I did I made sure it was correct before assembling I’m about to just give up on these shitty stock carbs and get some mikuni carbs...

61 - 80 of 104 Posts