Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have bought my first bike a 1980 cx500D and the guy said one day the electric start button didn’t work 5 years ago and sat since I’ve never worked on bikes so I would like some input the batter is charged up and when I press the button nothing at all happens no click no sound nothing if anybody could point me in the right direction it’d appreciate it!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
I'd start with the button. Test for 12vDC at the input side of that switch, then test for 12vDC on the output side as the switch is cycled. A likely culprit is the starter solenoid, but it's best to start upstream and work your way down.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Honda had a couple changes made to the wiring, the starter button for sure is different between years/models. Make sure you get the right diagrams.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
Honda had a couple changes made to the wiring, the starter button for sure is different between years/models. Make sure you get the right diagrams.
An '80 (or any year) Deluxe is certainly CDI, so typical for the CX500. It's the cutoff switch that's reversed on the later TI models ('82 Custom and GL500, CX/GL650, etc.) I don't know of any difference in the start button circuit.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd start with the button. Test for 12vDC at the input side of that switch, then test for 12vDC on the output side as the switch is cycled. A likely culprit is the starter solenoid, but it's best to start upstream and work your way down.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
I’m not sure what a sig line is I’m new to forums and bikes all sorry for the trouble
When a post is made the signature is the information below the post, unique to each poster. For example my signature has a list of my bikes and a link to the wiki.

Reactions: Landonmoore74

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
You might need to click the down arrow to the right of a signature to see all of it.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
41 Posts
In the interest of discussion…

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to first press the start button and check for battery voltage at the starter solenoid? If battery voltage is present at the solenoid while pressing the button, everything upstream of the solenoid (button, key switch, fuses, etc) is immediately ruled out as a problem.

I’m still learning my way around motorcycles but (on mine at least) it’s much easier to access the solenoid than it is the wiring for the button.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to first press the start button and check for battery voltage at the starter solenoid? If battery voltage is present at the solenoid while pressing the button, everything upstream of the solenoid (button, key switch, fuses, etc) is immediately ruled out as a problem.

I’m still learning my way around motorcycles but (on mine at least) it’s much easier to access the solenoid than it is the wiring for the button.
I don’t think it is a big deal exactly what order components are tested as it is all easy to get to. If it happened to me I would probably try jumping the solenoid first out of laziness of getting the tester. The important thing is to have an understanding of how the starter circuit works. Many times the problem is either the neutral switch or clutch switch or as mentioned the main fuse. I agree it is worthwhile to change to a blade fuse whether it’s the problem or not.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
If it is the OEM dog bone fuse... well junk it and replace just cause
I just bought a five-pack of those blade fuse holders for about what I paid for a single a few weeks earlier to get the 650 going. Foresight would be a great thing, if I had any.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I’m trying to navigate through the diagram sent above but I’m having a hard time understanding the wiring diagram. Im not technically incline with wiring at all

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t think it is a big deal exactly what order components are tested as it is all easy to get to. If it happened to me I would probably try jumping the solenoid first out of laziness of getting the tester. The important thing is to have an understanding of how the starter circuit works. Many times the problem is either the neutral switch or clutch switch or as mentioned the main fuse. I agree it is worthwhile to change to a blade fuse whether it’s the problem or not.
How would I jump the solenoid? I’ve never worked on a bike before so any tips help

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How would I jump the solenoid? I’ve never worked on a bike before so any tips help
Make sure you’re in neutral first. A spanner as already said or a screw driver will work to jump it. If you don’t know anything about electrics you might want to get more specific directions. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts